aquarium lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gingerpissflaps

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi!
I'm new to this site, this is my 1st post.
I have a question about aquarium lights and fish.
Ive recently set up my tropical fish tank and i have about 5 fish in it, a couple of my fish seem to be ok with the light but my albino shark, sucker fish and my catfish seem to only come out when the light is off, the lighting i have now is a fluval aquaglow 20 watt and a power glow 20 watt.
Is there a specific type of light i can get to make my fish more active and not so nocturnal as they are very hard to see in normal standard light.
I thought they were just shy, or even ill but it seems funny everytime the lights are on they hide and when the lights are off they are extremely active.
All answers welcome. x

Welcome to the site!

Depending on the species you have, they may just be nocturnal fish, and if so they will want to hide during the daylight hours.

The sucker fish you are referring, is it a Pleco? If so, it is a nocturnal fish. What kind of catfish do you have?

My catfish is i think a 'pictus' (?) catfish. the albino shark is white with orange fins, tail and eyes. Your right about the sucker fish, i couldnt remember its name. I also have an angel fish, and a shark catfish (but these 2 dont seem to be bothered about the light, although the shark catfish is suppose to be a bottom dweller but he never leaves the top, he keeps swimming in the path of the bubbles from the filter, i was wondering if this is normal too?)

Welcome to Aquarium Advice!

You might poke around on the saltwater equiptment forum. Some people who primarily keep noctoural critters use moon lights or red lights to be able to see them. You can then change your light cycle to be daylight when you're not watching the tank, and noctournally lit when you are. But no light is going to make both noctournal and daywalkers happy.

Back
Top Bottom