Aquarium nitrites and nitrates too high!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shopgirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello I'm a newbie and I have a 30 gal with 3 tetras, 3danios,1 african swarf frog, 1snail, a few shrimp, and 2 algae eaters one- live plant-and a oversized filter.
I had several fish die recently about a week or 10 days after adding the frog .... I'm guessing that could've contributed. But I also did a few other things that I have since learned were not ok.. Like putting dried starfish (from the ocean) in and prob over feeding and not vacuuming .... So I now have nitrite and nitrate levels that are way too high.. PH & KH are ok.
I've been adding live bacteria- twice now in the last few days.
Any advice/suggestions would be much appreciated!
Oh and yes I've also been told the frog is pretty dirty...but I am trying to fix the problem and keep him!?
Thanks!
Shopgirl

Massive water changes will be your friend, back to back if needed. Get those numbers down. Why the starfish? Seems like you know the cause, so..... I think you can fix it. I no nothing about frogs so I can't comment on that.

:welcome: to the forum!

If you aren't cycled yet then that is the reason for high levels, but either or, if your just having high nitrates and nitrites, cleaning your tank is your best friend (as said above).

If you are cycled, overfeeding may be the reason for these levels.

High nitrite nitrate levels

How much and how often on water chages? I've heard different suggestions.. 50percent & 1quarter every other day..
Thanks

Depends on your levels. Check every day and if they are high, do a pwc until you no longer see ammo or nitrite readings. If the levels are not that high 25% should be good, if they are high i would do a 50%.

Back
Top Bottom