Aquarium or terrarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin0329

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can anybody explain to me how to tell the difference between an aquarium and terrarium? I have a 20 long and I'm concerned it may be a terrarium.

I believe terrariums glass is much thinner and made only to he animals, not the weight of water. I think this is right, not positive though.

I understand that. I would also agree. However, my 20 long holds water. But to me the glass is pretty darn thin. I'm concerned but I have never put my eyes on another 20 long before. It is 30 inches long but only 13 inches deep so I know it doesn't have to support a whole lot of water weight. I'm just curious if anyone else here has a 20 long that can tell me how thick their glass is.

How thick the glass is depends somewhat on whether or not it's tempered glass. Is there any warnings on the bottom or anywhere saying not to drill it?

If you could post a picture someone might recognize it and tell you which it is.

Deep Seven said:
How thick the glass is depends somewhat on whether or not it's tempered glass. Is there any warnings on the bottom or anywhere saying not to drill it?

If you could post a picture someone might recognize it and tell you which it is.

No there aren't any stickers. The tank was given to me and if there were any stickers, he removed them for some reason. However, I have found many 20 gallon long tanks and all of them state that the bottom panel is not tempered. I will post a pic tomorrow if it is necessary however it's your typical rectangular tank. It measures 30 inches long, 13 inches tall and 12 inches wide. Nothing about it would be defining IMO.

I have a 20L that has the same dimensions. The glass thickness on the sides are 5 mm or 3/8".

Attachments

• image-759102212.jpg
    image-759102212.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 106
Ya how about you measure the thickness????? And then check the thickness for a standard aquarium of those dimension? That will give you your answer.

crister13 said:
Ya how about you measure the thickness????? And then check the thickness for a standard aquarium of those dimension? That will give you your answer.

That's exactly what I am trying to accomplish here. Thank you for the idea.

Back
Top Bottom