Aquarium Pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abrage22

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone, this is my first post here, this site looks great. I just bought my first aquarium. I know everything I need, however what about a pump? Is it needed??

Welcome to the site!

What kind of pump are you referring to? An air pump? A powerhead? There are several kinds of 'pumps' related to aquariums, without knowing which one, it's hard to say. Some information about your tank would also be helpful..

abrage22 said:
Hi everyone, this is my first post here, this site looks great. I just bought my first aquarium. I know everything I need, however what about a pump? Is it needed??

Welcome to AA. Do you mean an air stone or a filter? Also, are you familiar with cycling your tank? Can I ask how you plan to do it?

See, that's how much I don't know. Someone told me you need a pump for the fish to get oxygen, so im guessing that's what an air pump would be

Yeah, that would most likely be an air pump. they're usually not necessary. If your filter provides good surface agitation, then you most likely don't need one. They don't hurt anything unless you're injecting co2, but they aren't always required.

mfdrookie516 said:
There is a link in my signature that should be of some assistance.. Also, eco has a pretty good write up in their signature as well.

Thanks for the recommendation mfd! I'd definitely suggest fishless cycling...it's a lot less work for you. The link in my thread is a guide and FAQ, but also check the links in mfdrookie's signature to get another perspective. Feel free to ask any questions. Good luck!

abrage22 said:
See, that's how much I don't know. Someone told me you need a pump for the fish to get oxygen, so im guessing that's what an air pump would be

If you will be issuing live plants they will be releasing oxygen into the water when they are receiving enough light to photosynthise
I inject CO2 24x7 and don't use an air pump or have any surface movement and my fish do fine on the O2 given off by the plants while my lights are on
There is also some gas exchange going on while the water drips through the wet/dry filter

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom