Aquarium stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bry1105

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ive got a 46 gal bowfront from Aqueon and absolutly love it! But the stand it came with makes me nervous. It sure does not look like it could hold 400 pounds. Sure, Ive had the aquarium on it for a couple years already and if it was going to collapse it probably would have already, but I'd like to "beef" it up just for some peace of mind. Anybody ever done something like this before?

You could also post up some pictures of the existing stand but chances are it will work. Or you can do as stated above and add in some 2x4s for extra support.

Hi guys. Over the weekend I made the stand stonger. I added 2x4s on the inside as well as some 1/2" plywood to the top, bottom & back. I think it would survive a tornado now! Its a little heavier, but I feel better about it.

Well I think that it was probably a good idea then because if you are able to sleep at night that is what is really important.

I have a 180 gallon tank mounted on a stand made of red oak plywood sheets. Oak plywood is supposed to be very strong, but to be safe I added some extra 2" x 4" vertical braces inside the stand and held them in place with Liquid Nails, an extremely strong adhesive.

If your stand has lasted this long it probably won't collapse, but for your piece of mind you could glue in some 2 x 4s for extra strength.

Back
Top Bottom