Aquarium Tank Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ricardo48

Aquarium Advice Freak
If my 15 gallon tank can hold roughly 15 inches of fish for 1 inch per gallon then how come at the shops they have 50+ fish sometimes in tanks of 15-20 gallon??

How come they can get away with mass stocking of there display tanks?

That is for short term display, it stresses the fish and if you go first thing in the morning you will see a lot of dead fish being scooped out especially in the dense minnow and goldy tanks, even a lot of the snails are just empty shells where the snail has died.

they have a few things working for them. one most tend to have massive sumps and have them all connected. another thing those are not being kept in there for their whole life. another thing..... 1 per gallon doesnt work.

roughly speaking 1 inch per gallon is good to aim for a low tech tank.

But in the practical fish keeping magazine this month a girl has 60 tetra in her 14 gallon tank.

How on earth does she achieve this if people say im overstocked when i have 20 fish.

The 1" per gallon rule does more harm in this hobby than it does good IMO. Forget about it. Fish have varying bulk and relative bioload. Those 60 tetra probably have an equivalent load to one med pleco.

I think the 1 inch rule is good for a start, before you research the specific needs of each species.

So you are telling me I can stock 60 tetra in my 15 gallon tank and have no issues?

My experience has taught me otherwise.... 60 endlers maybe but not fish nearing 1 inch each.

60 tetra in a well planted and established tank? Yes, I'm saying it's completely possible with the right habits. I personally wouldn't do it though. I'm not talking about bulky tetra like Congos, Columbians, BHs, etc.

i am with HN on this one. the whole inch per gallon myth is wrong more often then not. its a bad place to start because people dont learn the basics same with wpg. these so called rules try to make something super simple yet people fail to grasp the basics like bio loads and such.

there are other things that would affect the inch of fish rule also. like the diameter of the fish.

plus who's to say that the girl with the 60 tetras isn't doing water changes every other day.

it's really bad if you have a short tall tank. i can have a 10" column that is 40g tall but i wouldn't want to put fish in it.

Is that like a shallow deep tank? :p

j/k

i have 20 fish in my 10 gallon tank
it is more work in terms of PWC to keep the nitrate lvl down...i try to keep it at 10-20
it is also more fun to watch

The inch of fish per gallon really goes out the window with planted tanks. If you're thinking about really slender fish, 12 sq in of surface area per inch works a bit better, and with planted tanks you could probably go even higher. My 10g is at well over 2 inches of fish per gallon, and just over 10 sq in of surface area per inch of fish, and everything runs like clockwork.

I'm pretty heavily planted with amazon swords, java ferns, java moss, anacharis, and random aponogeton bulbs that sprouted like monsters and are taking over my tank. I'm running a AQ20 HOB that's overpacked with biomedia (1.5 times the original amount) and stuffed with a huge chunk of filter floss.

I do water changes when I happen to have time for it, which is really only about ever other weekend. My nitrates go from less than 5 after a PWC to as high as 10 (oh no!) if i forget to do it for 2-3 weeks, and the fish have been perfectly content for several months now.

*edit*
it's definitely worth it to "overstock" your tank. I tried going with the inch per gallon rule, but quite frankly, it's a really boring tank. The 5 or 6 fish will hide in a school in a corner and never come out except to feed. With the way I've stocked, different fish are active at different times of day, and they roam all playing with each other. Each species has it's own hiding spots and favorite zones - danios on top, betta inside the plants, julli along the sides, emeralds under various pieces of driftwood and low-growing plants, and the neons just about anywhere they please - and they get along perfectly well, although I suspect I should never have put the danios in such a small tank. I cycled the tank with them using stability and prime a long time ago and they've stuck with me ever since.

Back
Top Bottom