AquariumPlants.com. A movement.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NigelK8485

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, I try not to rally people on here for things, however, this is one I can't ignore.

I was looking online for plants and came across AquariumPlants.com. I wandered into the livestock section and noticed they sell fiddler crabs and promote them as being fully aquatic and freshwater crabs. That's one of my biggest pet peeves. I don't know why I feel so bad for these little crabs but any amount of research will tell you they require brackish water and land areas.

I emailed them asking why they sell them like that. I told them they have a great plant selection but it's a disappointment to see them using the same marketing ploys as big box stores that receive such a negative stigma for it.

They responded rather quickly telling me "Do you even know anything about fiddler crabs. I do, I have kept many in full freshwater. They are brackish but don't need brackish water. I have 1000's of customers who can prove you wrong. I repeat, do you know anything?"

So I replied back with my experience with the crabs and sources to drive my point home, but now I think there'd be a much larger impact if more people questioned their advertisements of these crabs being freshwater. If you care to help, the email is orders@aquariumplants.com. They say their spam filter is very strict, I titled my email "Fiddler Crab Question" and it went through. Thanks for reading and helping.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hmm, I know nothing of these brackish/salt species.. I'll bet they live long enough in fresh water to void the warranty..
Someone's got a brackish marsh on their property and no shame..
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hmm, I know nothing of these brackish/salt species.. I'll bet they live long enough in fresh water to void the warranty..

I love these little crabs. Life expectancy in freshwater is a month or two, so yes, just enough time to not be their problem anymore. Life expectancy in brackish water is 3-4 years.

Those little guys are all over where I live (brackish marshes). You could go out for a walk and come home with a bucket (I would never do that, though). I can see how they could be kept in freshwater for a while, but no land? They are out and about all the time. I can't imagine them fully submerged in water all the time. I'm thinking those thousands of customers are probably actually providing some rock above the surface for them. I hope.

Those little guys are all over where I live (brackish marshes). You could go out for a walk and come home with a bucket (I would never do that, though). I can see how they could be kept in freshwater for a while, but no land? They are out and about all the time. I can't imagine them fully submerged in water all the time. I'm thinking those thousands of customers are probably actually providing some rock above the surface for them. I hope.

I'll bet half those thousand customers come to a forum like this and create a brackish environment the minute they see the crabs acting funny..

Back
Top Bottom