Aquascape ideas...need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jesse.R

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank is looming pretty boring lately. It's a 10 gallon with fancy guppies and lots of fry. I have a piece of driftwood that I'm putting in but I'm not sure what to do with the plants. Anyone up for suggestions?

image-3740129802.jpg

image-2725278233.jpg

This is the driftwood. And the first picture is the tank currently. The second was taken before soaking the driftwood. Hope to get some replies:)

Personally I like making the drift wood the focal point for my aquascaping. For a natural look I have plants along side, under, and sticking through some holes in the wood.
Here's my tank as an example, its a 37 gallon

ForumRunner_20130107_215146.jpg

Honestly, I'd say adding a background would be the biggest aesthetic bonus you cold give that tank. Just having a solid colour for those rocks and shells to pop against would be a huge help.

That's a great piece of driftwood, looks like it will be the perfect size.

I'd just add a ton of plants personally! Get a plant pack online from AZ gardens if you are on the west coast. They have low-light packages that I've liked for my needs. Or pick plants locally that just look great and add slowly.

Anubias would be pretty anchored to the wood. I just found a groove and wedged the roots in and it took. You can use dark string too. Java fern regenerates really fast and you get new plantlets growing from the tips of leaves that pop off and can be used as new plants. Also best if anchored directly to driftwood.

Honestly, I'd say adding a background would be the biggest aesthetic bonus you cold give that tank. Just having a solid colour for those rocks and shells to pop against would be a huge help.

Agreed! I put a large piece of black mat board on the wall a few inches behind the glass that looks fine. Stays dry and hides black equipment well enough.

Anubias would be pretty anchored to the wood. I just found a groove and wedged the roots in and it took. You can use dark string too. Java fern regenerates really fast and you get new plantlets growing from the tips of leaves that pop off and can be used as new plants. Also best if anchored directly to driftwood.

I second both of these, if you're going the live plant route, but it looked like it was all artificial in the pic.

Wow thanks! Everyone helped me lots and I've got some good ideas :D

Add more plants, make the substrate have hills for contrast. Check out my 25 gal build thread so you can see mine :)

Back
Top Bottom