Archer Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
So it's been one year since my trip in the world of aquaria began, and I see no slowing to the madness. I'm planning out some more upgrades to my planted tank, and when I move I want an even larger tank, specifically for Archer Fish.

I've done some reading on them and watched a lot of Discovery Channel as well. I was wondering if anyone had any practical suggestions to set up a tank for these fish.

100 gallon or 150 gallon? I'm thinking 3 or 4 of these fish. I know they get up to 12" in length.

How much water depth would you suggest? How about open air space in the tank? I know I want to lower the water level as they sometimes jump for their food, not just spit.

I was thinking of raising a tank full of Ghost Shrimp and Guppies for feeding with seaweed to balance things out, but would you recommend more insects? How do you feed insects so the fish can shoot them without having a way for the insects to escape?

This is probably a ways out, but I just though I'd pick your brains now as I am excited.

I find these fish fascinating as well. I have seen tank setups where people actually had a bunch of small branches in the space between the water and the tank lid to create a spot where insects can crawl around and be shot down. Trying to simulate the natural environment.

some setups i have seen is where the tank is half-filled with water. The other half of the tank is land with branches that extend from the water and a net for the bugs.
But this setup requires a large tank since you are using half the amount of water.

Yeah, I know they're mangrove fish, so the knotted roots that extend out of the water is what to look for when setting it up. I'm just concerned about how to feed insects without having them get out. Feeding shrimp and fish is pretty easy as the fish go right into the water and the shrimp can be stuck to the side of the tank for manual feeding.

I read that the water quality should be kept pretty immaculate for these fish, but I imagine the flow of water is pretty low in their natural environment. How would this be accomplished?

another video

about the filtration
Use an power filter and powerhead (I recommend aquaclear for both products)
Also leave a gap between the water and power filter so there is a waterfall effect.
The powerfilter/powerhead should be a good combo.

About your bugs and to prevent them escaping.
put them in a cage and release them when you are ready.
Or just fully cover the tank with a glass lid.

Although this is all in my head right now as I don't plan to do this anytime real soon, I'm super excited. I think I will try to construct a cage right in the fish tank with a solid bottom so the fish can't see. Then I can let them out right into the tank.

Back
Top Bottom