Are angels generally very tough.. or do i have an odd one??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

purple

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Something horrid happened yesterday and it nearly broke my heart.

My angel is getting nipped at by the Lombardi, just her fins and not all the time but enough that she is looking raggedy, she is still active and happy but looking raggy so i figured i would set up my ten gallon and let her live in it. I had it set up and had transported her into it she was alittle lonely looking so i popped the remaining two tetras in with her, perfect. Then my partner came home :cry:

He never wanted fish, the dog, the birds, the cat or the turtles.... but hey, i cant help that he doesnt like animals. When he saw the ten gallon set up he just went ballistic, he tipped the whole tank out down the sink!!!!! even with me screaming at him that he would kill my fish :cry: my angel ended up in the sink, flopping around and i couldnt pick her up with the net so i had to quickly use my hands..... and i put her back into the original big tank....

I sat up until around 3 am this morning because if she had died i wanted to remove her before she got nipped at. She is fine this morning, still raggedy but swiming in and out of the bubbles as she normally does, eating and following me as i walk past the tank......

Is she ok, obviously i cant house her elsewhere now :( and the pet shop wont take her all raggedy (and i really dont want to give her up anyway) what can i expect?? are they a tough fish that can withstand what she has gone through?? i am so sad i cant put her in her own tank :(

I love fish, but i really love this angel because you can play with her
she is so social to us humans, coming to the tank and following you or coming up to nip on your finger...... :(

Yeiks. I have had fish that have jumped from the tank to the floor several times and I just scooped them up with my hands. I am sure your fish will be fine.
Good luck to you Purple.

Awww thanks Meredith... your such a sweetie :D

OH BOY... soooo sorry that my silly little angel problem is so unworthy of being here.... If you want to put it that way.... ALL the problems people come here with are unworthy because on the larger scale of life, HUMANS are actually dying from disease :roll:

purple said:
OH BOY... soooo sorry that my silly little angel problem is so unworthy of being here

I think you are misunderstanding jchillin's and zagz's replies. I think they are more concerned about you, than the fish, as I am. Your partners reaction sounds pretty "intense". At best it was crazy, immature, and disrespectful. At worst, it was abusive.

I hope you and your fish will be okay.

Please understand that most people on this forum only know each other by the posts we read and the bios we may have posted. Even so, given the relative detachment, I have noticed that people here really seem to care about other members. I think that is why JChillin, Zagz and talloulou are concerned. I don't know if your fish will make it, but I would think we are more concerned about you than your fish. Obviously most, if not all of us here really care about our fish. Even so, I think the reaction from your partner is indicative of a greater problem. Please don't think we are minimizing your fish problems or butting in a situation where our input may not be appreciated, but I have to agree with talloulou's assessment of his reaction.

Okay, got that out. Now, you may want to add something to the water in case the angel was injured during his extra-aquarial dive.

Hang in there!

Yes to clarify, I was definately concerned about your partner's reaction and his actions. I'm sorry I'm not trying to be nosy but that is behaviour I just can't tolerate nor understand. I feel for you and for you angelfish. No offense was meant by my post, nor I'm sure by JChillin's.

You will like this site, the people are very helpful and very friendly. But beware, it is addiciting! :mrgreen:

Yes to clarify, I was definately concerned about your partner's reaction and his actions. I'm sorry I'm not trying to be nosy but that is behaviour I just can't tolerate nor understand. I feel for you and for you angelfish. No offense was meant by my post, nor I'm sure by JChillin's.

You will like this site, the people are very helpful and very friendly. But beware, it is addiciting! :mrgreen:

It's true Purple. I've seen too many people make what appears to be a subtle hint that something is amiss. I saw what appeared to be one and acted. I did not intend to appear rude or ignore your question about your angel. He will be fine IMO. Just thought that there was a more serious issue at hand.

As you can see, a lot of folks voluntarily came to my defense...I appreciate that because we are like a "family". We want each other to be happy.

aww.. i am sorry :( i can be so very defensive, it is just the way i have to be around here and i guess it has become part of my personality :( sorry.

Now i realise what you mean and i feel so guilty about being such a sarcastic and beligerent cow.. i hope you accept my apology :(

As to his behaviour, sadly it is something that i have become to feel is normal ... i dont know.

My angel is getting more and more chewed as the days go on.. i have been observing though and it seems if she stays in her part of the tank the two electric yellows and the lombardi leave her alone, it is when she strays to the other side they begin a torrent of abuse :( i am wondering how long she will be able to swim around for, or if it will just all work out.... again i am really, really sorry about the attitude i can sometimes display :oops:

Apology accepted and I would get a divider as well to keep her protected. As I mentioned before, the people here are very helpful.

On another note, sorry about the double post earlier, computer had been having some lag issues. I hate that!

Could she have fin rot?? because her top fin, back and under are just shredded and i dont know how the Lombardi could possibly cause that much damage... he does nip at her and hound her out of certain areas of the tank but in her own corner she is pretty well left alone. I have done a water change and did put a broad spectrum med in the water a few days ago, but she is not getting better. She is still eating really well, swimming in and out of her bubbles and active so i am not sure if it would be fin rot because physically she seems so well....

My partner is going away for a couple of days so i will set up a hospital tank and see what i can do in a few days for her....

I'm not sure if she could have fin rot, there are others far more qualified than I am to help you there. If you can't set up a qt, perhaps you could get a divider for the tank to keep her from being pecked at?

Back
Top Bottom