Are filter covers needed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just installed my new Aqua Clear 50 filter. It is quiet, but then when I put the cover on it seems to become loud and ratty sounding. Are the covers a necessity or do they not matter?

**Edit-- I forgot to mention that the carbon bag was pretty long compared to the basket, I REALLY HAD TO SQUISH IT IN THERE. Could it be the reason for the noise, or maybe the impeller? The impeller seems to be lined up with the intake tube properly.

If the noise only occurs when you place the lid on, it's probably due to the fact that the vibration is making it rattle. The lid isn't necessary, but dust and just may fall in if it's off. You could possibly line the edges of the lid with some aquarium safe and soft so reduce the rattling. Even a thin amount of silicone might work, not to glue down the lid, but to create a soft ring around the edge that is dry before you place it onto the filter.

There is still actually some rattling/grinding noise now when the cover is off. I removed the impeller and cleaned it, and there is still some grinding noise. Could the filter be defected? Everything seems to be aligned properly.

There's probably some air trapped near the impeller. A few air bubbles can make an awful racket in a HOB. This usually sorts itself out within a few hours, or you could try removing and replacing the impeller again.

Congrats on the new filter.

I agree, it sounds like you've got some trapped air. Try priming it more, even though I know it's running, pour another cup of water over on the left side by the intake.

I tried pouring water on the left side, didn't do anything. I am waiting it out to see if the grinding noise goes away at all.

If it doesn't I would just return it. ACs are silent, sounds like you could have a defective one if the impellar is clean.

Ok I called BigAl's and they are going to send me an email to return it. LOL so much for the excitement of getting a new filter.

With my HOBs (not AC) the impellers are typically louder when the tube is pressed all the way down, as one would assume the typical set up of an HOB would require. I found that if I pulled the intake/impellor tube upwards a bit, so the impeller is still spinning, the noise stops.

Back
Top Bottom