Are Goldfish a good idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

platybreeder26

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was wondering. The other day I was at Walmart, while my mom shopped I looked at the fish. For my first tank, I was origanlly planning to have tropical freshwater, but then i saw the black popeye goldfish they had, and it caught my eye. I am getting a 20 gallon tank, but is it a good idea for a beginner if i have one goldfish, a small cleanup crew, and er, a few white cloud mountain minnows....:confused::confused::confused: :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::fish1:

I would go tropical, black moor goldfish (that black Popeye lol) get big and can't live permanently in a 20 gal. Lots of nice variety you could play with in a tropical tank.

Gold fish get big quick and produce a lot of waste. They will need a bigger tank and big water changes.

Hi PB,
Tropical tanks are only cold water tanks with a heater. They are not as difficult to keep clean as cold water fish, which generally are larger and create a huge amount of waste. If I were starting out I would go tropical with smaller fish like danios or tetras. Try your hand at a plant or two. Learn about water quality and keeping a stable environment. Once bitten, you'll likely move on to more ambitious projects.
At one time I had four tanks, three tropical and one fancy goldfish for my stepson. The goldfish tank was a nightmare to keep clean.
Best of luck with your tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom