Are harlequin rasaboras nippy fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Polkadots

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hiya,

If you read my other thread(s) you may know this already...

I am currently fishless cycling my 36 gallon fish tank! My stocking plan is this:

6-8 (haven't decided yet) Harlequin Rasaboras
5-6 (also haven't decided yet) Cory Catfish
5 Platies
1 Betta (male)

Since my betta has flowy fins, I was wondering if the Harlequin Rasaboras would fin nip.

I know that each fish has a different personality, so it really depends on the fish. Therefore I'm talking about generality here.

Also, I think I heard increasing the number of rasaboras would decrease the chance of them fin nipping. Would 6-8 rasaboras be enough?

And I also read in one place platies might fin nip also. What do you think?

If you can, please also comment about my stocking plan!

:thanks:

In my experience with Harley's, they are not real nippy. I have kept them with guppies and not had problems. As long ad you have a decent little school, shouldn't be a problem. They are super active and love a decent current. I have not kept platies so I can not help with that one. They are live bearers and I do know they have a pretty big bio load. Just food for thought though, I currently have a school of 20 Harley's in my community tank with plans to add another 10-20 and they are awesome in a big school. It might be worth considering more Harleys and no platies unless you are set on them. The Harleys have a very small bio load. Good luck and have fun.

I have harlequins. I researched beforehand and never read about them being nippy or annoying any tankmates, and that has been true for us. They keep to themselves and don't interact with tankmates at all. I have no "finny" tankmates but would have no reservations about adding some.

As Stewy said they are very active fish.

You may want to look into the zones your fish enjoy and make sure you have balance, the platies in particular. I am not sure if platies are a "top" or "mids" fish. but both rasboras and bettas are "top" fish, so you want to be sure you have something in your tank that tends toward "mids" or you'll have empty space there.

If you find that platies are a top fish also you may want to swap the rasboras for a mids school, like cardinal tetras.

Back
Top Bottom