Are root tabs necessary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Platiesareawesome

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello! I was wondering if root tabs are needed if I were to have eco complete as a substrate and using pps pro. I want to have vallisneria, crypts, and swords. If so, what brand foo you guys use besides diy. Thank you! :thanks:

Crypts & swords def need root tabs . I use the Seachem tabs, they re labeled to last 3 to 4 months.

Hi platies, hope you're well.
Eco is a substrate that readily absorbs nutrients for the plants to use. It's call having a high cationic exchange capacity (CEC). It doesn't have a lot of nutrients by itself. The plants you just listed are all heavy root feeders as well as getting some ferts through the water. It is important for these three types to have root tabs under them. They will do so much better.
The latest tabs I just bought that I really like are the same kind Fresh2O uses. He put me onto them. You get 75 tabs to a bottle and you can order tabs called Total, Traces, & Iron, etc. They also offer a neat pellet applicator that lets you insert the tabs without getting wet: They are made by Aquafertz.com. You get 75 pellets for $10.99. Applicator is about $17. Hope this helps. OS.

Hi platies, hope you're well.
Eco is a substrate that readily absorbs nutrients for the plants to use. It's call having a high cationic exchange capacity (CEC). It doesn't have a lot of nutrients by itself. The plants you just listed are all heavy root feeders as well as getting some ferts through the water. It is important for these three types to have root tabs under them. They will do so much better.
The latest tabs I just bought that I really like are the same kind Fresh2O uses. He put me onto them. You get 75 tabs to a bottle and you can order tabs called Total, Traces, & Iron, etc. They also offer a neat pellet applicator that lets you insert the tabs without getting wet: They are made by Aquafertz.com. You get 75 pellets for $10.99. Applicator is about $17. Hope this helps. OS.
Thank you! Is the applicator necessary? Could I just use the total pellets?

No the applicator is just a fancy option. And yes, the Total pellets would be all you need. The others are for help growing special plants like hard to grow red plants. OS.

I have grown all of these plants except the vals without any ferts of any kind. I have a 20g high with 2x 18w t5 ho.

Crypts & swords def need root tabs . I use the Seachem tabs, they re labeled to last 3 to 4 months.

IMO it's not absolutely necessary. I have grown both without root tabs. It depends on how well water flows in the substrate- if it's something like sand, it might compact and not let water deliver nutrients to the plants' roots. If it's something like larger gravel, it should be fine because they're dosing ferts already.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom