Are roottabs harmful?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishies86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can root tabs be harmful to fish if they become uncovered? I've got corydoras digging around where I've put a root tab, and I'm just worried about it leaching iron and metals into the water :/

I think the big thing would that if you expose the root tab it will probably start to release nutrients into your tank, causing an imbalance. You may see algae outbreaks or even spikes in your water parameters. They should be buried enough into the substrate that a cory wouldn't be able to dig it up, IMO.

meegosh said:
I think the big thing would that if you expose the root tab it will probably start to release nutrients into your tank, causing an imbalance. You may see algae outbreaks or even spikes in your water parameters. They should be buried enough into the substrate that a cory wouldn't be able to dig it up, IMO.

Ok :) that's cool thanks :) ill push it in a little bit deeper :)

Darn it. I disturbed an old one when I replaced a few plants a few weeks ago. It threw out quite a cloud but settled fast. Maybe that's why all that algae took off.

xander said:
Darn it. I disturbed an old one when I replaced a few plants a few weeks ago. It threw out quite a cloud but settled fast. Maybe that's why all that algae took off.

Yep, I've disturbed one too. I tried a new way of getting a gravel vac started and it proved quite effective :/ sucked up an awful lot of gravel and a half disintegrated root tab. Brown cloud everywhere! I'm not too worried about causing algae growth though :) I grow alae for my otos. I'm breaking all the normal rules ;) my lights are on from 7.30am til 10.15pm.

Yeah, I had my root tabs also turn my water brown. Cleared right up after a PWC, but i guess I didn't bury it far enough...

Back
Top Bottom