Are there any naturally black aquarium gravels out there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SoveriegnR

Aquarium Advice Regular
I hate the idea of using PAINTED gravel in my tank, but I want to use black, or at least very very dark gravel in my tank because of how bright my fish are and to showcase the beautiful rocks I got. I cannot for the life of me find a gravel that isn't painted black. I know black rocks exist in this world guys come-on why waste materials on PAINTING rocks when you can just get naturally black rocks and make a natural gravel???

So does anyone have a black gravel in mind? Does home Depot sell it? A pet store? where can I find this apparently very rare thing.

:banghead:

Lava gravel huh? Interesting. Unfortunetly... for only 2 pounds 12$ is a bit... much.

I've heard both good and bad things with the flourite gravel and it's also quite expensive in comparison to how much you get. I need at least 3 20lb bags to give my tank around a 2" layer for plants, but I know I want some different substrate heights so I may need 4 bags and 20$ for a 15lb bag.. A dollar a pound is already a decent money dump but MORE THAN $1/lb is a little much.

It also looks a little... jagged. I'm worried about my Cory's sifting through that kind of gravel and possibly getting internal damage or even external. I know sand is ideally the best substrate but it just gets SO HEAVY when wet and I do not want to risk dumping sand down my drain pipes @_@ plus the risk of gas pockets.

I thank you for your reply though <3

I've got a combo of sand and the painted gravel, and my cories like it. So does my Raphael. (It was initially going to be just the sand. The sand matched my fish a bit too well.)

No but all the live plants you see in there were tiny until I fertilized them so the gravel will be fine for.it

Ya but I used the tablets and put one for each plant underneath it

Back
Top Bottom