Are these rabbit snails dead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BLUElobster99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So i ordered 3 orange and 5 yellow rabbit snails. They came in the mail yesterday and i drip acclimated them for an hour. It has now been 48 hours and not a single snail has come out of its shell. Are they all dead?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Have you picked them up and did the sniff test? If they're dead they smell really bad! If not they could be just settling in, I've noticed my tylos not move for a few days and then they're up and about. Hope they are ok.

55 gallon elephant nose tank
16 gallon Giant African shrimp tank

I wouldn't give up just yet. So long as there is no bad odour, there's hope. Have you tried very gently touching their doors ? If they react at all, they're alive in there.
It's not unusual for them to lie about doing not much for some period of time, as shellyx said, so give them some time.
Make sure their water is warm, they do not like it cool. 80F is good for them.

Water is 79 degrees, ph is 8.2, gh and kh are 10. Ive got two aqualear 30s on the tank so the water quality is good aswell.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hopefully they are ok. Let us know. The water conditions sound very good. Just fyi, assuming they're all ok, the Yellow ones are big time diggers and will uproot plants, decor and rocks, and eat some plants too. They ate all my American Swords. Neat little guys, but the Orange ones are much less destructive, don't appear to eat plants at all.

Good luck with them, I really enjoy keeping mine. :)

55 gallon elephant nose tank
16 gallon Giant African shrimp tank

My snails laid at the bottom of the tank for a couple of days and survived. But make sure that you don't mess with them too much or you might stress them out and make them stay in their shell for even longer:)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom