Argentine swords not growing??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhawk__

Aquarium Advice Addict
They've been in my tank since day 1, and I've seen no growth from them. There is a few brown spots on the leaves also. They are in a 10 gal with Eco complete as a substrate. I also have API root tabs in.

All my other plants (compacta, water sprite) are showing tons of growth!!

I don't have the best light, it just came with a 10 gal kit, but I figured It would be fine for low light plants.

Am I doing anything wrong? I don't plan on getting a new light anytime soon, but I can get some fertilizers. What would you guys suggest?

I'd prefer to not use co2, as I have no clue how to use it.

Trying dosing flourish and excel on a weekly basis as directed on the bottle. The excel is a liquid carbon and is great in low light tanks as a substitute for co2. The root tabs are definitely good for swords.

Trying dosing flourish and excel on a weekly basis as directed on the bottle. The excel is a liquid carbon and is great in low light tanks as a substitute for co2. The root tabs are definitely good for swords.

Do they sell excel at Petco? And will it harm my fish?

Swords can go through dormant periods where growth stops. Just a thought..give it some time.

The two big swords in my 220g go through dormant no growth periods so I wouldn't be too concerned. Mine always kick back into growing mode usually with a vengence. Using Excel IMO is a good thing. Not just for the sword but for all the plants.

The two big swords in my 220g go through dormant no growth periods so I wouldn't be too concerned. Mine always kick back into growing mode usually with a vengence. Using Excel IMO is a good thing. Not just for the sword but for all the plants.

Do your swords ever get brown spots? And ill definitely pick up some excel over the weekend!

Do your swords ever get brown spots? And ill definitely pick up some excel over the weekend!

I've not seen Excel in the PetCos/Petsmarts but I have seen API CO2 Booster (an alternative).

Be patient; I took out several large Sagitteria because they basically turned brown and died after only three weeks. Later, upon inspecting the brown clumps of dead leaves I discovered some new growth and white roots. unfortunately, not all of these took kindly to a second replanting.

No they don't but I have a dirted substrate capped with Eco-complete, use root tabs with extra phosphate and iron which swords love, and I use dry ferts daily.

Ill have to try that out rivercat. I already have the Eco complete and root tabs.

What dry ferts do you use? And what light?

Sorry about all the questions !

Back
Top Bottom