assassin snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bosshogg

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got 3 black and yellow assassin snails today to combat my snail problem. One just wrapped itself around the base of a bacopa plant and buried half its shell in the sand. Is this normal? Can anyone help me?

When I first got assassins, a few of them did that too. I wouldn't be to worried about it. Just make sure they don't stay under the substrate for too long, because that could mean that they are dead.

Mine play hide and go seek all day in and out of the substrate. The only time they move up the glass in any of my tanks is when my cities lay eggs. I usually have a one hour window to save the eggs from them. I wouldn't worry about them disappearing unless you don't see any for a while . Sometimes I think all mine are gone and the next day there they all are again. My swordtail tank did not fair well for them though. The swords destroyed every snail. Lesson learned

They shouldn't dig up any of your plants, and from what I hear they are nocturnal. They will bury in the substrate all day, and become active when the lights go off. Mine don't usually go on the glass, but they definitely eat any snails on my rocks or on the gravel.

Back
Top Bottom