Atlantic Rays

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Etunes

Aquarium Advice Addict
I posted about these animals on Monster Fish Keepers but know one seems like they want to respond so as usual i come back to this website. I am wanting to move to another step in fish keeping, which is ray keeping because i have always loved them. So since this is the only legal ray in Florida i want to keep it. So my question is will they be fine in a 75g freshwater set up until they grow? Because i know somebody that just got babies from his and is now selling them. They are about 4 inches across. So can i do this? Also anything else you know about these critters would be helpful.

Species name
Dasyatis sabina

Dosen't matter. After an hour of research i have decided not to get 1. They are good rays and might get 1 one day but they have a really high urine output when in Freshwater. That is how they stay in Freshwater. So it is possible but needs omega filtration and with all the ammonia means atleast 2 large water changes a week. So maybe in the future but not now. I might in the future make a brackish or saltwater stingray tank to keep them in but not now. I will make a custom tank for them.

Good decision. I had a feeling that was the ray and on top of what you already stated, they are primarily estuary/marine species with few fully freshwater populations. Most importantly, it means you would have to definitely make sure you would be receiving a fully fw ray or create a higher saline (marine) environment. Yes, they do expel ammonia from their gills as they breathe and all rays can be difficult to feed when young. They are quite beautiful animals; they are fun/interesting to work with.

I have helped a friend (the same person that has them) take care of rays before. I enjoy every minute of the time i have with rays. So are you saying that if i got a ray that was from the fully freshwater species i would not have this issue?

Back
Top Bottom