Attack Female Guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lillipond

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently purchased 5 tetras and 2 female guppies. The tetras all died very quickly(I tried adding a quarter cup of water at a time. Will do drip method in the future and add fewer at a time)

It's a ten gallon tank. Properly cycled(almost 2 months) with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10 nitrate.

The issue now is I only have 2 guppies and one guppy is attacking the other until it hides in a corner. I want to get 4 more guppies and a snail at some point but I'm not sure how soon is too soon with the tetras dying as they did.

Just looking for help and suggestions about what to do in this situation

I would separate the guppies until you can get more. You can buy a tank devices of of Amazon for this. When you do get more I would get 2 more females and 2 males. The males will chase the girls around trying to breed them which will stop the one female from being a jerk... The males will not nip the girls as all they want to do as breed. If you have males you need a 2 female to 1 male ratio.

Thanks, I do have a separate smaller tank for the time being I'll move her too. How long would you recommend waiting before buying additional fish. I just want to be as responsibille about this as I can.

I would buy some right now. I recommend separating your new fish from the others for at least 2 weeks (best a month) and feeding them a garlic medicated fish food (make sure its safe for guppies first) this will prevent worms your new fish so they do not get the others sick. Its best you get your fish from a trusted small business pet store or a reputable breeder online.

Back
Top Bottom