Attempting DIY GH Booster (Barr Formula) - Some Help, Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BioChem

Aquarium Advice Regular
Good Day, All!

I'm looking to raise the GH of my RO/DI water product. According to the Barr formula: 3 parts potassium sulfate, 3 parts calcium sulfate, and 1 part Epsom Salt in a bag.

My question is what is meant by parts? Is it based on the molecular weight of each? So would I essentially have to add 361 grams of K2SO4, 361 grams of CaSO4 and 246.47 grams of Epsom?

Ex: Molar Mass K2SO4 = 174.26, CaSO4 = 136.14, Epsom = 246.47 (essentially, 120.37 MgSO4)

------- or -------

Do I generally measure 300 grams of K2SO4, 300 grams of CaSO4, and 100 grams of Epsom?

Thanks for your help!

Good Day, All!

I'm looking to raise the GH of my RO/DI water product. According to the Barr formula: 3 parts potassium sulfate, 3 parts calcium sulfate, and 1 part Epsom Salt in a bag.

My question is what is meant by parts? Is it based on the molecular weight of each? So would I essentially have to add 361 grams of K2SO4, 361 grams of CaSO4 and 246.47 grams of Epsom?

Ex: Molar Mass K2SO4 = 174.26, CaSO4 = 136.14, Epsom = 246.47 (essentially, 120.37 MgSO4)

------- or -------

Do I generally measure 300 grams of K2SO4, 300 grams of CaSO4, and 100 grams of Epsom?

Thanks for your help!

The bag is 1lb total weight which is 450ish grams.

There are 7 parts in total so 450/7 = 64g

64 x 3 = 192g potassium sulphate
192g calcium sulphate and 64g Epsom.

I doubt he would use the molecular weight. Its difficult enough as it is convincing people to use dry salts without talking about molecular weights ?

What are you supposed to do with the mixture?

I'm not up on my gh boosting. Any particular reason you are using RO water? Barr is pretty adamant it is unnecessary for planted tanks. Do you have high ammonia?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The bag is 1lb total weight which is 450ish grams.

There are 7 parts in total so 450/7 = 64g

64 x 3 = 192g potassium sulphate
192g calcium sulphate and 64g Epsom.

I doubt he would use the molecular weight. Its difficult enough as it is convincing people to use dry salts without talking about molecular weights ?

What are you supposed to do with the mixture?

I'm not up on my gh boosting. Any particular reason you are using RO water? Barr is pretty adamant it is unnecessary for planted tanks. Do you have high ammonia?

I have somewhat hard water, with too much calcium carbonate for my taste. Besides, I prefer working from scratch - creating water parameters.

I have somewhat hard water, with too much calcium carbonate for my taste. Besides, I prefer working from scratch - creating water parameters.

Fair enough.

Did you read this thread under 'tap water' and 'have hard water'?

http://www.barrreport.com/forum/bar...tive-index-of-dosing-or-no-need-for-test-kits

Does this thread read like the mixed salts weigh 1lb?

http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/index.asp?Option1=inven&EditU=2&Regit=7

Are you any clearer on the amounts you need to add?

Many thanks for the input. I have a background in Chemistry, and couldn't help looking deeper into the mathematics of it all. I may be wrong, so please correct me if I am.

I understand the Barr method is intended to saturate the column, while the PPS Pro is intended for minimal, daily dosage. But while studying the 2 methods, I did notice a ratio similarity. In a sense, they both show a 3:3:1 ratio, for Potassium, Calcium and Magnesium, respectfully.

I realized this while reading aquatic plant requirements. Aquatic plant deficiency - Aquarium-fertilizer.com So essentially, the 3:3:1 ratio comes down to ppm, which in turn is dictated by the molecular weight of the compound you choose to use to fulfill a plant's requirements:

Here's my example in which I'm looking to dry dose:
According to plant requirements, Potassium = (4-40 ppm), Calcium = (20-30 ppm), Magnesium = (5-10 ppm). Of course these values can be adjusted, based on the tanks needs - especially with high light and CO2. My aquarium is 29 gal = (110 Liters)

To stay true to the 3:3:1 Ratio, I'd have to calculate for PPS-Pro K=30ppm, Ca=30ppm, Mg=10ppm. The Barr method, K = 90-120ppm, Ca = 90-120ppm, Mg = 30-40ppm

The PPS-Pro, Potassium Example

(K): 30ppm = n/110L -> 3300 mg K

3300 K x 1/1000 x 1 mol K/39g K x 1 mol K2SO4/2 mol K x 174.26 g K2SO4/1 mol K2SO4 = 7.37 grams of K2SO4, daily.

The same method of mathematics can be applied for all other compounds.

Oh, I see now. It does originate with weight parts. Afterwards, you deal with molecular weight. Thank you Caliban and Goldguru. As you can see, I really don't like to rely on automatic calculators. It takes away one crucial thing for me - to learn something new. Besides, I enjoy the challenge of mastering a problem.

Thanks again for your help!

Oh, I see now. It does originate with weight parts. Afterwards, you deal with molecular weight. Thank you Caliban and Goldguru. As you can see, I really don't like to rely on automatic calculators. It takes away one crucial thing for me - to learn something new. Besides, I enjoy the challenge of mastering a problem.

Thanks again for your help!

No worries bud. If I'm not sure about something I'll try to help find the answer. The formulas in the link provided seem logical. Just applying the numbers now.

Glad I could help.

Back
Top Bottom