Attempting to convert my 10G to Paludarium...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daileene

Planted Tank Addict
Hello all! I have been researching last Monday afternoon till Tuesday early morning about different kinds of -riums in the world, terrariums, paludariums, vivariums, ripariums, and who knows what else. I have looked at other people's project but they seemed so professional looking that I know I wouldn't be able to imitate. But then one of the links lead me to Wy's project.

Wy's bog tank was the last resort. His tank seems so cool and simple that me and my son think we can do it. Then Mumma's Paludarium caught my eye too. It is way too cool and seemed simple, especially with her techniques. Of course! It always seemed simple when others do it first, right?

Anyway, I decided I would do it. I have my 3rd tank that I salvaged from being a coldwater tank into a planted tank, then it just flunked again, for SOME reason! :whistle: I know it is not my fault! ahheeemmm! Here's the link of what is used to be: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/salvaged-10g-coldwater-tank-journey-177316.html

So it is still running and I made sure it is ready to become a QT tank when I have new residents. But it is just sitting empty. So it was final. I rearranged things around last Tuesday afternoon, July 2 in the tank. I didn't have any idea what design I can do. And for the bad part, I didn't have anything that can put things together at all (silicon, coco fiber, charcoal, etc.). So what am I supposed to do? I really wanted to do it THAT DAY! One thing you should know about me is that, I am stubborn. And when I set my mind on doing something, I will not stop until it is done.

So since I cannot have anything siliconed coz I don't have any, I figured out I will look for a certain container that will fit in my tank where I can put the terrestrial area. Right? Well, I found one. Yayy! Now what? Then I got some gravel for the bottom, layered a fabric, found some charcoal actually, then put the potting soil on the top as I have some laying around. Then since I had that old substrate in the tank, I didn't really want to take it out. So I made a slope around the container I found, with some plants that I am experimenting right now. I did have some Forget-me-Nots seedlings that I was happy I could put in the land area, some in the aquatic area. I also have a pink and a green arrowhead vine. Then the experiment plants are lilies of the valley, very small coleus, some rounded plant that creeps in the ground outside and some weed that has a pinkish flower. Oh well! :whistle:

Then, I had my fake log from that same tank before and my son didn't want to take it out either, so it is in there. It actually helped hold the stones and lava rocks that I put on top of each other so I can make like a waterfall from the Whisper 2-10i Filter. I also had a pump that has a bubbler head in the back to make some water vibrations. Also a heater (which I am debating if I will use or not). Added the PFS in the pool area for a more nature look..since the old substrate has some funky colors..personally I don't like it but it is too hard to get them out one by one. :blink:

Pictures are below. It is a VERY work in progress. I don't know if it is even worth showing off for now, but I just wanted to see I guess how far this tank will go in the future. :hide: Here it is....please forgive the background. It does not look right yet, but I will try my best. :thanks:

FTS:
img_2547173_0_519094c95f67a4f66d2b7de10c022344.jpg

Fake log with the rocks that is covered w/ moss from the other tank, some rocks in the bottom and some lava rocks with anubias (from the other tank)
img_2547173_1_2ee3bfd14ce39193900bb79ac66f2294.jpg

Pink Arrowhead Vine, roots covered with mesh cloth and fabric so the soil will not be all over the water, suspended in the water. (Cannot find a vacant shower caddy Mumma). It helped hid the heater too.
img_2547173_2_5386e784fba18b7a7c66a2982fb6ad4e.jpg

Starts of the pool area.
img_2547173_3_ed694edcdace0135d58704d18329c9b1.jpg

Pool area:
img_2547173_4_7e1c80e6f9ade93791895979b808af6b.jpg

Front look of the supposed waterfall effect:
img_2547173_5_9a768ddbcee8ce0b0f309d13fc89f652.jpg

Closer look of the pool area (some existing aquatic plants-microsword, rotala, red crypts, etc.)
img_2547173_6_f567ad5fab363d0e57a49c9e55b853f8.jpg

Closer look of the slope:
img_2547173_7_ff6509619ab177be4dff1462f90e7445.jpg

More Pics:

Terrestrial Area (a little watery right now because of too much fogging -- a problem I have to conquer later on)
img_2547179_0_151b20c8abf7a5666da2caf5df69685c.jpg

Another FTS:
img_2547179_1_2fa3dc3a621d013123558d9bf2b1da8e.jpg

Top View of the pool area:
img_2547179_2_89b3019aad62af7ce27e0fdddd443b34.jpg

View from the side down. See the humidity in the right side? :-(
img_2547179_3_9da81e88f068e1490b137136ab3fd682.jpg

Any advice you want to give me is very much appreciated....thank you all for reading!

Looks like you're off to a great start! I had some condensation problems and found having a gap in the lid/hood helped with air circulation.

Awwww thanks Mumma. I really appreciate that. Yes, I do have some gaps in the lid/hood. I started opening it up yesterday that is why it is not as bad before I took the pictures.

Thanks. :)

Looks like you are off to a good start, any further progression? Personally, if you can find some real driftwood rather than the fake that would be a good start. Looking forward to seeing how you progress.

Looks like you are off to a good start, any further progression? Personally, if you can find some real driftwood rather than the fake that would be a good start. Looking forward to seeing how you progress.

Hi Wy. Thank you for the nice thought. I did exchange the fake log with a driftwood that is covered with java moss from one of my 20G tank yesterday. And you are right, it looked much better. I rearranged the rocks and the lava rocks around and I added more pink arrowhead vines surrounding around the terrestrial area. It looked cooler to me. I had more plants in mind but I cannot afford it right now. I will post pictures tomorrow. :)

I added two African Dwarf Frogs in here and they are loving it here. They are so cute and wants to explore everywhere, which I love, because that means they love their new home. ;-) I cannot wait to show you them. They are tricky to get a picture at. They hide through the rocks. They love it there.

This is it for now...will update tomorrow. :dance: :thanks:

Looks great! Is there anything supporting the slope from water to land, or is the substrate just piled up high?
I've seen some people use a computer cooling fan to circulate air and prevent condensation buildup.
Glad your frogs seem happy! Any other animals you plan on keeping in there?

Looks great! Is there anything supporting the slope from water to land, or is the substrate just piled up high?
I've seen some people use a computer cooling fan to circulate air and prevent condensation buildup.
Glad your frogs seem happy! Any other animals you plan on keeping in there?

Hi Mac,

The slope is just the substrate piled up high. Nothing is supporting it. :) So far it is holding up.

I didn't know if I can out more residents in here aside from the 2 ADF. Can I? Does anybody know if it is safe to put more residents? Like guppy fry perharps?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry no new pics yet. I have to recharge the battery of the camera. :-( thank you for the patience.

Back
Top Bottom