Axolotls: Finding the right substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Endless Ocean in My House

Aquarium Advice Regular
I know axolotls will digest any substrate too small. I found those clear pebble-like stones that I thought were big enough, but I'm not sure. I do not have an axolotl yet. The pebbles I have are about two centimeters in diameter.
Are those too small?
If so, what else can I put down?

If yor axy gets big enough those could get consumed easily. I started off with the same then moved on to large pebbles but after discovering how messy the little critters are (poo will end up under stones no matter how vigilant with cleaning you are) I switched to nothing. A bare bottom can look really pretty if theres a background on your tank as it will give off a mirrored image so dont be put off! . Oh and get a turkey baster for their poop, I guarantee it'll be your new best friend! ;-)

I don't have an air stone in his tank. I use an aqua clear hob filter, and keep the water level up pretty close to where the water pours out (foggy brain atm and can't think of the proper word) so there isn't much movement in the water...

I use pieces of flag stone that I boiled to make sure they were clean. It's easy to fit them in the bottom of the tank and easy to remove and clean. I think the rule of is that if it fits in their mouth, they'll eat it :)

Back
Top Bottom