Background plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stinnettjosh

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anybody have any ideas for a background plant for a 10" tall tank with low light and excel dosing daily?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Could stick to a sword. Or like a thick bunch of stem plants like anarchis or hornwort. I'd probably go for the stem plants or even a few crypts

Yea thats what i was thinking. Ill have an 18" finnex fugeray on it, would that be enough to maybe do ludwigia?

I have no experience with Ludwigia. IME Bacopa caroliniana does well under a Finnex FugeRay (and even less light).

It looks pretty similar to the ludwigia with a little less red. What were you doing for co2 when you grew it?

It looks pretty similar to the ludwigia with a little less red. What were you doing for co2 when you grew it?

I grew it in two tanks. In the one with the fugeray, I used Excel and it grew okay but when I added DIY CO2 it really took off. The other tank had a dual t5 NO and not ferts, excel, or CO2. It grew slowly but I did have to prune in every 3-4 weeks. Of note, both tanks are 20g longs, so they are shallow.

Ludwigia repens grows like a weed, and grows to the top of the tank. It grew fast before I increased my light or added co2, so now it's almost obnoxiously fast growing. When it grows too tall, cut it about 25% from the substrate, pull the planted part, and replant the top. Simply trimming the tops doesn't seem to result in as nice looking stems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok. I might try a few stems of both and see which one does better.

Ludwigia repens grew well for me in a setup with lower light than yours so you should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom