Background Plants that help w/Algae ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandoborg

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just opened up a back corner of my 29 and was wondering if you all might recommend a plant that will also help with Algae control. I have both a planted and floating water sprite, but am looking for one other tall plant. Algae is not a big problem here, more preventive than anything else.

I run a Finnex Ray2, PPS ferts and eco-complete......

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.....

Jim

Hygrophila corymbosa. It gets a good side and is a nutrient hog that could make it harder for algae to grow.

Caleb

Perhaps addressing the root cause of the algae may he the best course of action?
Any carbon source? Lighting hours?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

All plants can compete with algae and beat it (some Hygrophilia species especially), and the more plants that you have, the less algae you theoretically should have. All of that stands true if you have proper fertilization and CO2 amounts for your given lighting. It would be nice to know what PAR your tank has so we can direct you. I don't have a link for the PAR charts at the moment, but I find them, I'll give you the link!

Hey Folks , I probably wasn't too clear on my initial post and i apologize !!
There actually isn't an algae problem at all. When I read that a plant eats up a lot of nutrients, I tend to put that in the back of my mind when picking plants. Figure it's an added bonus. Kind of like getting a new tire before your old one goes just in case....
My fertilization schedule varies, but it mostly consists of the GLA PPS pro system that I dose every other day. In between that I add Seachem Flourish and Metricide. Basically I'll add one of the above everyday, but rarely the same thing two days in a row.
I use a Finnex Ray 2 on a 3 on- 2 off- 4 on Cycle that Also runs my CO2 at the same time.
I actually took out 2 Amazon Swords to open up that corner !!! Being a 29 gallon I'm hoping for something that will grow taller.... they just got to where they were growing out instead of up.

Again, sorry for the confusion on my initial post, and THANK YOU for your help. this place has been a great resource for getting my tank going nice and smooth. The search feature has been my best friend !!!

Jim

Sounds like a good set up you got going on there. Hygrophila augustifolia and cyperus helferi would be nice options.

Thank you for the tips and recommendations folks !! I've written them all down and will spend some time here tonight reading about each plant !! I find that fun, wife thinks i'm a geek !!!

Jim

Wisteria gets my vote. Its easy to grow and is an attractive background plant.

100168-albums14356-picture68923.jpg

Back
Top Bottom