Bacopa Caroliniana

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luna09

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,

I was wondering if someone could help me diagnose what is wrong with my bacopa caroliniana.

Starting from the base of the stalk the leaves are small and green with some black spots. The further up the stalk toward the surface of the water you look, the leaves increase in size till they are quite bigger at top than bottom. The black spots stop about 1/2 way up the stalk but then the last inch or so of leaf from the top has lost its colour.

For some reason the plant is browner at night and it greens up again once the aquarium light has been on for a few hours.

I hope these pictures help, my iPhone camera isn't very good.

Attachments

• image-3177310273.jpg
    image-3177310273.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 115
  • image-654863963.jpg
    image-654863963.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 107
  • image-2919945030.jpg
    image-2919945030.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 93
  • image-2961756830.jpg
    image-2961756830.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 98
  • image-644925460.jpg
    image-644925460.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 109
If that is algae why isn't it anywhere else in my tank and why isn't it dark green instead of black? As far as getting to the light source goes, there is another bundle of the same plant in the tank that is growing just as nicely but isn't changing colour.
As far as that being the case, why does it green back up once the light is turned on in the morning?
I'm sorry but I just don't understand. If it turns that colour when it gets closer to the light then why does it not stay that colour throughout the day?

I would appreciate it of you weren't short with me. Maybe it seems obvious to you what the problem is and if that is the case, maybe explaining in depth would help instead of being rude because I posted again due to the fact that I didn't get a sufficient answer with the last post.

I would appreciate it of you weren't short with me. Maybe it seems obvious to you what the problem is and if that is the case, maybe explaining in depth would help instead of being rude because I posted again due to the fact that I didn't get a sufficient answer with the last post.

(No emotion is inferred or intended in this response.)
Short does not mean rude. I gave you what you were asking. I really don't have the time to give you the proper answer, nor do I think I should do all the research for you. You, yourself, can look up what happens to plants during photosynthesis and why they would change color.

You may not understand this, but I choose what to do with my time. I decided your post was worthy of my time and gave you what I believe to be correct.

I don't understand why you think I should devote more of my free time to answer your question when you've chosen not to devote any of your time to look it up.

Furthermore, if you would have inquired about needing additional information vice demanding it, I would have been more then happy to clarify.

I am now moving on as I have reached the amount of time and energy that I have chosen to respond to your comments.

rkilling1 said:
Just like the answer you got the last time you posted this

Was the part I found rude.

Being short is a term used when someone is being a certain kind of rude, at least in Canada. Maybe not Ohio but where I'm from I've used the term correctly.

I understand people have other things to do. I do too, I'm a full time nursing student and I hold down a job. I get busy.

As far as doing my own research goes, I have been and can't find anything useful on the Internet, thus my reason for turning to aquarium advice, isn't that what this forum is for?
If not maybe you should set me straight again seeing as that's what you seem to like doing.

Furthermore, I don't think I will be using this forum any more. Too many people here are rude for no reason and think its their way or the highway. Kind of sad but you'd think a fish forum would be a positive thing.

Try cleaning a leaf off and see what happens.

Luna09 said:
As far as doing my own research goes, I have been and can't find anything useful on the Internet, thus my reason for turning to aquarium advice, isn't that what this forum is for?
If not maybe you should set me straight again seeing as that's what you seem to like doing.

Furthermore, I don't think I will be using this forum any more. Too many people here are rude for no reason and think its their way or the highway. Kind of sad but you'd think a fish forum would be a positive thing.

No, you don't have to leave. Rkilling really was offering to be helpful. He was just politely pointing out that it's considered rude on the forums here to start multiple threads asking the same questions. It suggests that you want to disregard whatever help the people gave you in your original query. A more polite approach from your end would be to ask for more specific clarification on your original post. It's easier for new posters to add more advice to whatever might've been offered to you already. So, from the viewpoint of the people who are trying to help answer your questions, you're the one coming off as rude. I'm not being critical. It was hard for me (still is) to understand the rules of online forum etiquette. They're so different from in person manners and we all step on peoples feelings from time to time. Don't get discouraged.

You're right about many people here believing that their way is the one right way to do things. But they get that way by struggling for a long time with their tanks, finding a way to make it work, and passionately believing that their success is because of the exact changes that they chose to implement. In a way, they're right in that a proven method really does work. They just don't always know first hand that there are multiple successful ways to approach a problem. And in their defense, lots of people seeking advice here seem to want a correct answer to a problem right away. An answer that takes devoted hobbyist months or years of study to understand. In that circumstance, trying to convince a person whose having problems using a setup made to keep a few fish alive to then invest in equipment made to keep plants healthy AND follow a proven system isn't a bad idea. Plants do have different needs than fish. They need the right light, and enough of it, they need nutrients, and enough of those, too. Beyond that it's mostly details, and that's where different opinions get debated: which substrate, which co2 method, which fertilizers, when to dose and how long of a light cycle. The problem is there are a LOT of right answers. The easy ones are often hard to accept (cost money), and the hard ones are complicated to explain.

Don't get discouraged. Learn and grow. For that, there is only one right answer. :)

Back
Top Bottom