Bad plants and ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JC_Bus

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello!

Yesterday I went to pets supplies plus because they were having a little sale and I got two plants for $2! I picked one that looked nice then I got the taller one that is beat up. They said the short one was a Java Fern and I don't remember what the tall one is.

Can you help me to make the tall one look better? And the shorter one has like some brown leaves but I don't know if they're new? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425231064.845597.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425231086.838550.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Those both look like swords to me, which need root tabs. I think if you just add some, it should look much better.

Should I cut the leaves that have holes in them?

Try the Seachem Flourish tabs, really jumpstarted my Swords.

Should I cut the leaves that have holes in them?

Those look like melon swords to me. Yes, you should cut the brown leaves off and definitely use root tabs.

I believe the short one is a melon sword and the taller one is an Amazon sword. Definitely not Java ferns.

Remember this always: if a leaf looks bad, starts browning/yellowing, has pinholes in it, just get rid of it. 90% of the time the leaf will not recover, but the plant will keep sending nutrients to that leaf to aid it.
If you cut it off, the plant will stop sending nutrients, and will focus on new growth.

Sent per three-eyed raven..

Okay so I should get root tabs and cut the leaves. How much should I cut?

All the way to the crown (to were the roots are). Never cut a leaf in half. Trimming does not work that way

Will the plant take a while to grow back?

Well, it won't happen overnight :D but you should see new growth pretty soon. Notice that it will take a while before the leafs are mature.

Do you have pictures of where the crown is by any chance?

Can I cut all the tall leaves and leave the short ones in the middle?

Back
Top Bottom