Bad tank placement.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jake_71

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had my 10 gallon fresh water tank for about a year now. When I got it I wanted to put it in my room. The only good place was my old desk. The desk was the bottom part of a bunk bed until we cut the bed of lol! But anyways it's almost 6 feet long. We put the tank on the very left all the way back. It's wooden with a metal frame and legs. And several support bars. But it dropping a little in the middle due to the weight of the tank. My water level is off but not by vey much to worry. But the desk bending made a slight gap in between the two sides of the tank. I can easily slide a pice of paper under the and pull it out ever 4 pieces on top of each other. Almost. But is this bad? Because some people say its fine as long as the 4 corners are solid on the ground. So what do I need to do? Nothing? Help if you can.

Wooden paint stir sticks can make good shims if they fit under the gap. They are long enough to fit front to back of the tank and you can fit several of them in a row for strength.

The good thing is, it's a 10-gallon tank! Put a styrofoam or a cork underlayment beneath the tank. It'll absorb some of the pressure, but eventually you'll need to asses the situation and determine if you need to move the tank to a different location.

Can you post a picture?

David

Yes I could use a shim but that could just put more pressure on the tank. And some one said if all 4 corners of the tank are touching the stand then you are fine. But I have a 1/8 glass marine land aquarium 10 gallon with no braces not even a steal lip.

I will in the morning can't right now but I am moving to my basement this summer so could I wait that long to get a good stand. My dad said my tank is fine he is a real handy man and knows a lot about stuff but not much about tanks so he said its fine as long as all 4 corners are touching the table but is this true?

It's hard to say without being able to see it in person. Glass is a fragile thing! Put it on the floor on top of a rug or matt until you figure this out. A 10-gallon fits just about anywhere and the stands for it are really cheap. Check your local Craigslist...

David

Take 4 gallons of water out and put it in a bucket. Put all your fish in the said bucket. Vacuum out the remaining 6 gallons and water your houseplants with it. Move the tank. Add 6 gallons of new conditioned water and equalize the temperature with what's in the bucket. Add your fish along with the water they're in. You've now moved your tank, and did a 60% water change to boot! Your fish and houseplants will love you for it.

David

You might not be able to tell but under my tank is a small gap which is what I am worried about.

Attachments

• image-3804895095.jpg
    image-3804895095.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 73
  • image-2337227244.jpg
    image-2337227244.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 83
  • image-2946074364.jpg
    image-2946074364.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 80
Perhaps you can get a piece of plywood (or two) cut to fit the tank dimensions, empty the tank as previously described, put the tank on the plywood and go from there. The desk may continue to bend because of the weight but hopefully the stress will be transferred to the plywood instead of the tank.
As for the desktop bowing, perhaps you could cut a 2x4 and place it vertically underneath to provide support.

I like that idea I will ask my dad and me and him could probably make a support for it. I would rather do that then buy a new stand.

I can't see the gap between the frame and desk, but I can definitely see the water is not level at the top. As suggested, a 2x4 as support is a good idea. Let the water level be your guide as to what length to cut the 2x4. Start of with a large piece and then shave off until the water is leveled with the top frame. Be careful not to hit the 2x4 with the chair or your feet!

David

if you have a lot of spare lumber lying around, you could make a sawhorse frame brace, basically would look like this under the desk:
__________ this would be a 2x4 that runs lengthwise under the desktop,
|/********\| This would be legs at each end of the desk, with angled braces to the long 2x4.
Hope my little graphic shows up correctly. (the asterisks are nothing, just holding my graphic in place) You could probably do all of it with less than 3 8 ft 2x4's and a few screws. It would definitely shore up the desk, and hold your aquarium solidly.

We do have a lot of wood and saws so soon I will make a brace for it until I get a tank stand thanks for all your help. You all might have just saved my tank. :)

Back
Top Bottom