Balloon molly agression?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gazingatstars12

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi. It's been a while since I've posted. My new tank is up and running and the goldfish turned incredible hurt has been retired to the pet store. I've encountered a small problem besides my girlfriend making me keep track of all 30 fishes names.

Here's my tank in a nutshell. 72 gallons. It was rough going at first with a lot of deaths but things stabilized at least 2 months ago and haven't had a death since.

5 danios. 5 small cories. 3 painted tetras . 3 glassfish. 2 blue tetras. 4 small rams of various makeup. 4 tiger barbs. 1 kissing gourami and 3 balloon mollies. I realize I could probably keep adding a few more but I'm satisfied with the activity in the tank and don't plan on adding any more especially since many of the fish are on the younger side and still have some growing to do.

Everyone gets along wonderfully except for one particular balloon molly who chases and nips one other particular balloon molly. It's always that one fish bothering that one other fish, no one else.

I'm still relatively new to the hobby. I've only been keeping fish for about a year and a half so I'm not really an expert of their behaviors.
So my question is what a going on here? If I had a devil fish I'm thinking he should be bothering everyone. Im not sure this has anything to do with it... but The fish doing the bothering is the smallest balloon molly and the one who's getting bothered is the medium sized one. The big one clearly is staying out of it

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Easy, the chaser is a male and the runner a female. Some times, especially with mollys, the males will fixate on a specific female and chase her relentlessly. You observe this just before they give birth as well. I'd either trade the molly in or rehome it. Get another molly and make sure it is a she.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom