banning a sexy shrimp to the sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaybird

Aquarium Advice FINatic
anyone else have to do this? I'm hoping that it will be an effective "time out" for it.

There are two very small sexy shrimp in the tank (each about 1cm long) and one is no bother to anyone but this one is constantly hanging out on my leather coral. This pisses my leather coral off to no end. The tenticles will retract and stay retracted so long as the shrimp is on it, and then for a good half hour to an hour afterwards. I've kept chasing the shrimp away from the leather but I sucked it up in the turkey baster this morning an deposited it in the sump.

Not sure if anyone else has had problems with these shrimp.

That's what these shrimp do. They are "anemone" shrimp and love hanging out on softies as well, preferably in groups. Our's seem to prefer our frogspawn. Any irritation to your coral should be minor and not really affect it adversely.

It was odd. At night my two percs look for a place to sleep and sometimes they get onto the top of my toadstool, or the xenia, etc, and the toadstool doesn't really retract it's tentacles much at all. If the sexy shrimp is so much as on the stalk all the tentacles retract into the head.

While suffering an infestion of flatworms I discovered much to my delight that my Peppermint Shrimp had a taste for the worms. He will come out at night and munch on the little bas$&*#s. My toadstool will restract and allow the shrimp to do his thing.

Well, I'll keep my fingers crossed in the peppermint's eating flatworms. I noticed some in my refuge the other day, and then some in a slow-flow area of my tank. Lots more in the fuge than the tank, but there are still some in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom