Basement Sump Design

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sevise

Aquarium Advice Activist
My dryer has been dieing for a while now, and since its about 12 years old old I've decided to replace my washer and dryer with the new stackable kind. The good new is that will open up some floor space in my laundry room. Even better the laundry room is located directly below my tank. Conclusion, BASEMENT SUMP.

The main sump will be a 100Gal rubbermaid bin. It will sit on a 2.5ft platform to provide me some storage and cut down on the head height. Above the bin will be some shelves that will hold a 20Gal Macro Fuge, a 20Gal fuge with LR rubble for pods, a 30Gal tote for water changes, and a 5gal bucket for topoff.

My 120gal's dual 1" drains will be combined into a 1.5" pipe to feed the sump. The return will be a pair of Mag18s pumped back up through 1" pipe. The difference in waterlevels will be around 14ft.

The laundry room has a water hookup for my RO/DI unit, and an easily accessable drain for waste water.

Wow, that sounds like quite a setup. All that extra water volume/filtration will be great. (not to mention that it makes it less messy around your tank when you do water changes/etc.)

i would use a larger pump than a mag 18 !! ive done this before and even with a mag 24 in the basement pumping to a quite one 6000 under the tank it still wasnt the flow i wanted !!

Why a sperate fuge? Why not just add the LR and caluerpa in the 100 tub. There is alot of room in those things so if you even wanted to put your skimmer in there will be enough room for LR, Sand, Skimmer, heater, caluerpa etc. JMO2

I'm hoping that with a large water volume some detrius will settle out and the bare bottom will make it easy to vaccum out.

I think it will be easier to harvest the macro from a 30Gal glass tank. Similarly the pod fuge will be a rubbermaid bin filled with LR rubble, kept dark. Running them seperate will allow me to also control the flow and some other characteristics in each.

Back
Top Bottom