Beautiful balloon mollie!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justme68

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone! I'm still cycling but went to look at fish today to try and make a decision. Never would I have thought, but I saw the most beautiful balloon belly Mollie. It was such a pretty deep yellow on the top and pearl irridescent on the bottom and shaped almost like a little bouncy ball. I fell in love but couldn't bring it home. Is a 29 gallon big enough to have one of these? Should I have more than one? Thanks all :)

29g is big enough (depending on what else is in there). One is fine. They are not schoolers.
I am just going to say be careful because IME balloon mollies usually don't live as long as regular mollies. The ones I have seen usually get problems after not too long. I don't recommend them for that reason. But, some people have good luck with them. Up to you.

Thanks for being honest Absolute. I don't want set to set myself up for grief.....I'll choose something else :)

they're cute, but if you knew how they got that cute i'm not sure you'd want one anymore ;) they are regular mollies bred for their deformities, and it makes it extremely hard for females give birth, and for both sexes to swim. as angel said above they are also short lived because of stress put on their bodies from having such a deformed figure. i personally wouldn't buy one, but if you would like to try, go ahead :)

They are pretty cute... And honestly, they arent all that much different than pugs who were bred to have those extremely short noses... They have a hard time breathing properly because of it. Brachycephalic, I do believe its called. Bulldogs are bred to have such an awkward body that they have trouble giving normal birth and many times, require a c-section.

As long as you are aware of their special needs, go ahead and get one if thats what you want. :)

Thanks for being honest everyone. Come to think of it, he did just stay at the front of the tank and didn't move much. I was too awed to realize that he probably couldn't swim well! I'll find something else eye catching to call my "centerpiece" fish.

Back
Top Bottom