Before I start my planted tank.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justme68

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello! I'm trying to get as much info as possible before I begin my journey with a planted tank. I read that I should put a heating cable underneath my substrate but I haven't seen anyone here mention it. I'm just wondering if it is a must as I'm on the bottom rung of the ladder with the "newbies" .....sorry if it seems to be a silly question, just not sure. Thanks for any and all help :thanks:

it doesn't matter, i have never done that in any of my planted tanks......i would say that it isn't a + because say u have an issue with the heater........u'll have to ruin ur whole plant scape to fix it, or replace it.......just use a regular oen;)

Thanks guys! FishBoss~I was kinda thinking the same thing if I needed to get to it for some reason and OasisKeeper, its hard to tell what is necessary and what isn't due to manufacturers wanting to make sales. I have learned though that it isnt always wise to take advice from the lfs very often :)

Thanks guys! FishBoss~I was kinda thinking the same thing if I needed to get to it for some reason and OasisKeeper, its hard to tell what is necessary and what isn't due to manufacturers wanting to make sales. I have learned though that it isnt always wise to take advice from the lfs very often :)

yeah;) only if ur LFS is good;)

i guess the only + of the heating thing is that it heats the water more evenly and spreads the heat, but i guess if u have good flow from ur filter, it would be the same and less of a hassle that way;)

0.5 F drop from top of 1.5" of Eco Complete to the bottom. The tank water is about 6 deg above room temperature.

So.. if you are running warm tanks in cold rooms . then yah, maybe it would be a good idea.

I'm thinking that by cold rooms you mean something other than the normal living room temp?!?! I'm thinking I should be fine w/out one :)

Some people swear by the heating cables, especially with plants like crypts. I don't think they're necessary. You'd be better off spending the money on a good light and CO2 system.

Thank you!! Thats my next question.....i'm so sorry. Lighting....I've never had a planted tank so i'm not sure I can do it (gonna give it a shot though) I just want low lighted plants so I'm not sure if the typical lights in a standard hood will work? I need laymen's terms please :confused:

Jetajockey, is there a special name for them? I've read about LED and compact fluorescent and I'm a little confused

Back
Top Bottom