Best Algae Eater for 29G?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

henry1245

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi All,

I have a 29g with the following:

1 x Common Pleco
1 x Hoplo Catfish
1 x Cory Catfish
2 x Bolivian Rams
1 x Molly
1 x Platy
1 x Betta
1 x Dwarf Gourami

The LFS told me a common pleco would be fine in my 29g, however, 4 months later and it's too big! so was wondering what alternative algae eater is best which would not outgrow my tank or produce too much bioload (i am aware that my stock is maxed out).

Was thinking of a couple of snails or a different type of pleco, but wasn 't sure which would be best... any ideas?

Cheers!
Henry

do you think if i replace the common pleco for a bristlenose or a couple of snails, i'd have room for another cory?

corys need to be in schools, 4+ is ideal, the more the better. Since you already have another catfish in there (besides the pleco), and not a whole lot of extra space to work with, I'd just nix the cory idea all together.

There's also a potential issue between the gourami and betta to keep an eye on.

If anything I'd add another platy or other small livebearer like guppy, you do have a little bit of wiggle room but between the BN/hoplo/rams, the bottom is pretty well covered.

The betta does occasionally flare up in front of the gourami but not often (the gourami is new so assumed this was terratorial).

Would the betta not attack guppies?

Ottos are wonderful algae eaters and stay small. They are efficient too

Ottos are wonderful algae eaters and stay small. They are efficient too
yes,but you have to supplement very soon after getting them(unless you have a huge tank you cant see through the glass of)

Get a few AES (amano shrimp) and not only will they eat any algae (otos, plecos won't touch some), they'll go after leftover food and even poop. Best part is they don't add to the bioload and you don't have to feed them specialty food.

Would the betta not attack guppies?

I had a male betta that used to pick on 1 guppy at a time. bite away at its tail until it couldn't swim and died, then move on th its next victim. cleared out all 5 guppies. i did have them in a small tank though (30 litres).

Get a few AES (amano shrimp) and not only will they eat any algae (otos, plecos won't touch some), they'll go after leftover food and even poop. Best part is they don't add to the bioload and you don't have to feed them specialty food.

Ahh, they sound perfect... will my other fish not eat them?

alLexX said:
yes,but you have to supplement very soon after getting them(unless you have a huge tank you cant see through the glass of)

That is true!

Back
Top Bottom