Best diet for an oranda with swimbladder problems?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lala

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
A few weeks ago my oranda started hanging out at the top of the tank most days, but would swim around just fine when he felt like it. We started giving him peas once per week, not feeding one day per week, and sinking pellets the other 5 days. That seemed to maintain him on for awhile. Today I fed him pellets and left the house for a bit. When I came home he was at the top of the tank on his side. When he tried to swim around he flipped upside down for a moment and was able to correct himself before floating back up to the top. I am very worried that this is the beginning of the end for him, as I have lost fancies in the past to swimbladder disease. :(
What can I do to save him? Is there a better diet I should try? Peas more often? Other veggies? Any advice will help. Thanks.
(PS- the water is good in the tank, I have tested it and have kept up with PWC as usual. The other, smaller oranda in the tank is just fine and dandy eating the same thing.)

To me it sounds as your doing everything right, between sinking pellets, peas, clean water, and fasting for a day. I would try fasting for 3-4 days and adding epsom salts at quarter teaspoon per five gallons which acts as a laxative.

Ok. So Epsom salts- not aquarium salt though? I will try that!
I'm just wondering long term how I should go about a feeding schedule to avoid him getting this off balance again.

Ok- so for the past few weeks we've been feeding as follows:
Day 1 peas, day 2 no food, day 3 pellets, day 4 no food, day 5 peas.. And so on.
We also added some Epsom salts during the last water change.
This has been going ok- ish. Mr. Myagi (our oranda) still hangs out at the top of the tank on most days, but is able to swim around when he wants to. Some days are better than others. Today was a pellet feeding day and then I left home for a 4th of July BBQ. I just got home to find Mr. Myagi belly up! He is fighting it and is trying desperately to swim down and correct himself. It is so sad to watch him struggling. What else can I do?? Please help!!

Lala said:
Ok- so for the past few weeks we've been feeding as follows:
Day 1 peas, day 2 no food, day 3 pellets, day 4 no food, day 5 peas.. And so on.
We also added some Epsom salts during the last water change.
This has been going ok- ish. Mr. Myagi (our oranda) still hangs out at the top of the tank on most days, but is able to swim around when he wants to. Some days are better than others. Today was a pellet feeding day and then I left home for a 4th of July BBQ. I just got home to find Mr. Myagi belly up! He is fighting it and is trying desperately to swim down and correct himself. It is so sad to watch him struggling. What else can I do?? Please help!!

More peas, less pellets.

Back
Top Bottom