best DIY CO2 recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShaunRowley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What's the best longest lasting DIY CO2 recipe for a 2 liter bottle?

Sadly there is no cure all for it. It's really testing out your specific brand of yeast over time to really dial it in.

I was asking more about the perfect balance between water, yeast and sugar. I'm trying to get it down to a science where I know exact measurements of everything

There's a jello CO2 recipe floating around the web somewhere too. You could take a look around the web for that if you want.

I have made many Co2 injectors with bottles before, putting in more yeast will provide you with bigger amounts of Co2 but runs out faster while putting less will provide you with smaller amounts, but will last longer. Hope this helped!(y)

The more water you use, the more diluted the ethanol created is, thus the longer the yeast lives for. I use 128oz gatorade jugs (about 120oz of water in each jug), 2cups sugar, 1/2tsp active dry yeast, 1/2 tsp baking soda. I have 2 jugs running on my 18 gallon tank. I change each jug every 3-4 weeks (alternate jugs) and maintain a CO2 concentration of 35-40ppm.

I use a 2ltr bottle 3/4 full of warm water (not hot) 2 cups of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon yeast, 1 teaspoon baking soda. The thing to remember that the more oxygenated the yeast is the faster it'll get to work. I first set up a little bowl of water with my yeast and a pinch of sugar, this sits with a bubble stone in it while I am mixing the other ingredients. By making sure the yeast is well oxygenated, I usually get bubbles in the counter as quickly as 30 to 45 minutes.

I use a 2ltr bottle 3/4 full of warm water (not hot) 2 cups of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon yeast, 1 teaspoon baking soda. The thing to remember that the more oxygenated the yeast is the faster it'll get to work. I first set up a little bowl of water with my yeast and a pinch of sugar, this sits with a bubble stone in it while I am mixing the other ingredients. By making sure the yeast is well oxygenated, I usually get bubbles in the counter as quickly as 30 to 45 minutes.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about how fast it gets to work. Whether it is 30 minutes or 3 hours, thats inconsequential when you are looking for steady, long term production of CO2. More water = longer, more steady production.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom