Best DIY planted aquarium substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

electromango

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been doing a lot of research and have come to the conclusion that using a DIY soil mix capped with EcoComplete would be the best substrate for a planted tank.

I found the article: How-To: Mineralized Soil Substrate, by Aaron Talbot - Library - Aquatic Plant Central

which shows how to make a DIY aquarium substrate by using mineralized top soil and other ingredients.

The author provides a list of general ingredients in his recipe but I'm not sure that the brands/products I found work like the recipe? Would this work:

Scott's Top Soil (for cheap top soil)
Vigolo Tomato and Vegetable Garden Plant Food Plus Calcium (for dolomite)
Espoma 4 lbs. Tone Flower Food (for muriate of potash)

Also I can't find the pottery clay for the mixture. Does anybody have any suggestions on what clay to use?

Also, I'd like to ask: does anybody here have any experience using this recipe? Also, would my recipe above work without any ill effects?

Thanks so much for your help, everyone's advice on this forum truly helps me create my dream aquarium!

Here are the links to the products I mentioned for the recipe:

Scotts 0.75 cu. ft. Premium Topsoil-71130758 - The Home Depot

Vigoro 3.5 lb. Tomato and Vegetable Garden Plant Food Plus Calcium-124346 - The Home Depot

Espoma 4 lbs. Tone Flower Food-100047185 - The Home Depot

Ive used miracle grow organic soil topped with sand in two of my tanks. Has worked well and helps plants root I think. Good luck with your project

Amazon has clay. That's where I got mine

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ive used miracle grow organic soil topped with sand in two of my tanks. Has worked well and helps plants root I think. Good luck with your project

Yes I think organic soil is really all that you need. It does sound like you have done a lot of research with the best intentions but mixing soils can be and has proven to be a disaster.

The best thing about ordinary organic soil from a reputable manufacturer is the soil consistency. The most you may need to do is raise the ph of the soil IF it is naturally low. You can do this by adding crushed coral or lime to the soil before laying. Keeping the ph high helps with the cation exchange capacity which is what keeps nutrients bound to the soil colloids and readily available to the roots.

As time progress the soil will become a large reservoir of nutrients by the formation of Humic substances which is of the highest CE capacity. Fish food, fish waste and decaying organic matter will be broken down by soil bacteria and constantly replenishing the soil nutrient reservoir and have been shown to last several years without giving out.

Basically you just need an inch of soil with a half inch cap of your choice either gravel or sand.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks so much for all the advice.

I'll use potassium chloride (water softener) for the muriate of potash from the supermarket and dolomite from a vitamin store. Also I'll cap my soil with Eco complete sand.

Still two things though: the organic potting soil is a little expensive for 40 lbs worth. Would normal top soil from Home Depot work as well? Here's a link: 40 lb. Topsoil, 71140180 at The Home Depot - Mobile

Also, for the red clay from the recipe (iron source and binding medium), what do you guys suggest I get? There's AMACO Mexican pottery clay from my local arts and crafts store but that seems a little overpriced. Any places or links that I should get?
Link to the clay I found: AMACO® Mexican Pottery™ Clay

Thanks again everyone!

Could anyone offer a link to a red clay they use that has worked well with them?

Back
Top Bottom