Best filter type

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishstick18

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hanging on back, in-tank filter, what are your favorite/reccomended models in ways of reliability, looks etc?

My experience of THREE filters makes me an expert. Expert!

I love the AquaClear. I love how it's user serviceable, all components can be switched out, and there are so many different options. I love that the flow rate is adjustable, and it's very easy to prime. It's quiet, and the water comes out in this nice braided flow.

It all depends. HOBs are cheap and reliable. Canisters are more expensive but very quiet, and most of their media is reusable indefinitely. They are also the best choice if you are using a sand substrate, as sand destroys HOBs.

I personally use Eheim canisters on my 90 and 150 gallon tanks. 1 filter has been running for 13 years and 2 others are running for 20 years.

It all depends. HOBs are cheap and reliable. Canisters are more expensive but very quiet, and most of their media is reusable indefinitely. They are also the best choice if you are using a sand substrate, as sand destroys HOBs.

I personally use Eheim canisters on my 90 and 150 gallon tanks. 1 filter has been running for 13 years and 2 others are running for 20 years.
Cheap..... Lol.... 105.00 per is not what I call cheap but yes some are, I have 2 aquaclear 110's, they are not loud unless I don't fill the water at the way up, I agree canisters are better in a way but have their faults, canister filters have issues with air pockets causing them to spill out onto your floor but canisters you can do much more with, do spray bars etc etc not to mention they keep the water crystal clear where hob's you have to modify them to do so, i didn't modify mine my plants keep my water super clear... I think it's the plants anyways lol.

Back
Top Bottom