Best goldfish to start inside a 55, transition to 150+ pond next spring?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marsh

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been given two pond liners, kiddie pool shaped and 3" deep with tiered levels so deepest point is 3" or deeper. I need to learn up on the method of properly installing these but I estimate the total capacity of both pre-shaped pond liners equals at least 100-175 gallons?

I want to tank raise a couple Goldie's in the meantime to use an empty 55g tank I have Sitting on my deck! I know koi are out, but like the "comets" that resemble koi, as well as all Goldie's.

Any suggestions? Pond should be prepped, running and cycled by next spring. Edit: ps it is all California warm weather here, never freezes so it that makes any difference... ;)

Also have a soft spot for red headed orandas! So sweet faced. How tough are these fish outside?

Well, I would start with what you would like to stock (commons/comets or fancies). You should be perfectly fine to keep orandas outside in a pond, especially because there is no risk of freezing weather (lucky you! :)). You will need to protect the pond from predators though and have plans in place in the event of excessive heat. Cold is not as big of an issue with fancies but heat is a big killer. Juveniles adjust to living in pond conditions much easier than adults, too. :)

So if I were to get small orandas, and expect the pond install to be complete before January 2014, would two be ideal for the 55?

How many gallons per adult oranda in a pond? Thanks!

They would be fine in a 55 gallon over the winter. Having said that, cycling a new tank with goldfish is sometimes more challenging than with other fish, due to the bioload of thick bodied goldfish.

If they are going into an uncycled tank, you need to stay on top of your water chemistry. Do not waste money on test strips. Use the liquid test kit, and test frequently. Water changes in goldfish tanks are large and frequent - at least 50% and that is usually multiple times a week.

As to the pond, you've never given actual dimensions or actual capacity. A photo would be helpful. The reason for this is that you need enough surface area to be able to plant the pond adequately to provide shade, oxygenation for the water, and hiding places from predators. In addition, those orandas will get large with proper care and you want to make sure they have enough room to turn comfortably in the pond.

ETA: I'd give each oranda about 30 gallons a piece for pond capacity. And remember they breed in ponds. Do not overstock the pond with your initial choices of fish, and then have to cull babies due to overstocking.

Thanks Sharp! Good point, is it possible to sex Orandas when 1"-2" long?

I do not have any photos I am able to load from the app due to reaching my photo limit but will get some measurements and host a pic from my home computer this week.

I would gladly reconsider other goldfish that are less fancy. I mainly want friendly and hardy goldfish. The ponds will have a waterfall but both fish would share the larger space, unless of course I find them reproducing... I was thinking of an area that has partial shade from the house as temperature highs are between 55-85 basically all year long. I have shade gardens but lots of debris from Mimosa trees falling constantly. I also have a mostly shaded area near a hot tub and outside my kitchen window, but I am not sure I could dig so close to my foundation? Better get on-site advice from my contractor.

Thanks!

How large are Comets fully grown compared to Orandas and bioload between the two?

Also forgot to say, I use API master test kits for my 2 planted FW tanks and the saltwater one for my reef tank plus a few other salt water drip tests.

Does pond water require anything not included in the FW master kit?

Wow 50% weekly... That's about what I do in my FW tanks but they are only 20 and 29, so buckets do the trick. I actually was given a python water changer with a tank I got from CL, that might help out.

Back
Top Bottom