Best schooling fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmny34

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What fish in your opinion is the best schooling fish and why?

Rummynose Tetras are the tightest schooling fish I've kept in the 30+ years I've been in the hobby. My schools have always stayed together and pretty tight. I have 25 now in my 220g and they always school.

Rummynose Tetras are the tightest schooling fish I've kept in the 30+ years I've been in the hobby. My schools have always stayed together and pretty tight. I have 25 now in my 220g and they always school.

Do they stick together in smaller groups like that also? A group of 5 or 6?

Most tetras stay together pretty tight. One friend of mine has 40 neon tetras in a tank and I can honestly say it is amazing.

Another cool schooling "fish" is kuhli loaches. If you have ever seen a group of 10+ they look amazing swimming around, it is more of a chaotic schooling though, zig zagging back and forth quickly rather than synchronized.

Other schooling fish-zebra danios, tiger barbs, jewel barbs, cardinal tetras, serpae tetras, citrus tetras, emperor blue tetras, (once saw a group of bala sharks)

Neon tetras will school but as they get more accustomed to their surroundings they start to spread out. Mine go all over and stay in loose groups. I heard rummy nose tetras are good schoolers :)

Rummynose, Lemon and Penguin Tetra all seem to group up well in large numbers. Silver and Marbled Hatchet fish stay really tight as do Glass Catfish for an alternative selection.

Back
Top Bottom