Best Substrate for CRS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
Best for buffering in low KH.

My water is usually 6.8-7.2 pH - differs during the year where the water company get the water from, either the lake 6.6 or less or reservoir 7.2-7.4.

GH is around 150.

KH doesn't even register on my test kit unless I add supplements, so 0.

Anyone know if there are any differences with the low KH in effect?

Breakdown times in your experience for the substrate you recommend?

New CRS tank coming soon! :popcorn: Thanks all.

I'm curious on this myself. Are you looking to buffer as the shrimp need it?

I've been thinking I may need to do something for mystery snails.

My two cents. Actually, someone else's (junglefowl) two cents. Not really addressing KH but interesting nonetheless. Post #242from Fresh2o's Shrimp Tank thread:
The Fluval Stratum substrate is a PH buffering substrate. It will either decrease or increase the PH level of the tank water and keep it around 6-6.5
While Eco-complete and black sand are inert substrates. They don't change much the PH level of the tank water (in my experience).
So if you only keep RCS for now, I think the inert substrates are a better choice since the shrimps already get used to living in the same environtment and tank water parameter. Buffering substrate will buffer the PH too low for neos cherry shrimp.
One day if you'd like to set up a tank for Caridina shrimps like Crystal Red/Black, Golden or Taiwan Bee. Then buffering substrate is better since those shrimps like soft acidic with low PH water. There're also better substrate for them including ADA Amazonia, Controsoil, Brightwell Volcanic etc.
I have used most of them. This is my shrimps tank setup with Brightwell Volcanic:
img_3294870_0_0ad211d62cef4ad7da163759f4c14e86.jpg

img_3294870_1_d5f6e05452cebe7425ec80ff7c649cae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
In my case looking for a very long lasting substrate that will help buffer on the lower side. Have been using Eco-Complete with RCS, have used sand with RCS.

When I had OEBT's they grew up but didn't survive to breed for me. I feel the minerals were an issue in the water primarily, which I can supplement, but if the substrate is helping too then I would think that would be a step closer to success.

Buffering substrate will help a lot if you want to keep Caridina shrimps (including CRS/CBS/OEBT/Taiwanbee). Not only it buffers the PH down but also keeps it stables for the shrimps.

You might consider to use RO water and remineralize with shrimps products. CRS likes soft acidid water so KH 0-1 is perfectly good. But we don't know what contains in your lake or reservoir water that raise GH. Better use shrimps mineral products to raise GH and TDS than that.

Thanks. Sounds perfectly logical. I will run another test series next week before I get this all done. Moving a tank next week and busy schedule right now. To see what we have now, this was from the beginning of the year, haven't done a recent one for KH/GH.

What remineralizer do you prefer?

Back
Top Bottom