Best type of nano fish for shrimp tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

candacecook1025

Aquarium Advice Freak
Yay! I didn't even know there was an invert section here!

I am really getting into inverts...shrimp especially and even some snails! I have a bajillion RCS in my community tank, and that is even with lots of other fish. Those suckers just don't stop breeding! I also recently added some rabbit snails and I think they are the cutest things ever.

My question if about my other shrimp tank...I set up a 10 gallon planted tank and stocked it with some Blue Velvet shrimp...so far I have about 30, and am hoping to reach the bajillion level soon lol. I would love to be able to one day breed and sell these, since (in my experience) it is pretty tough to find these guys.

The only problem I have is: the tank looks kinda boring! I love watching the shrimp do their shrimpy thing, but I would love to add a few nano fish as well. I definitely want something in the orange or red family, bc I think that will really pop with the blue shrimp. I have looked into several species, but can't decide.

And yes, I know that there is a chance I will lose a few new baby shrimplets, but I have had great success with my RCS with much larger fish, so I am not too worried. Plus, my 10 gallon has a full moss wall on the back for shrimp to hide in, as well as lots of other plants and wood.

Here are my top choices:

chili rasbora
phoenix rasbora
maybe other microrasbora species?
ember tetra
sparkling gourami (not the right color, but cute)

Does anyone have experience with any of these fish? Or does anybody have any other suggestions that will be okay with my shrimp? (And no, I don't want any otos.)

Once again, I KNOW that there is a chance that a few newly hatched shrimp won't make it, but as long as the numbers continue to grow, it's fine. I just want something that will generally leave the shrimp alone.

Thanks a bunch!

i keep my shrimps (crs,oebt,pfr,cherries, pumpkin) in my many shrimp tanks with least killifish. They are tinyyy.

I've got embers, and while they wouldn't bother your shrimp (they are very timid and not much at all fits in their mouth) they are also not a vibrant colour, so you wouldn't get the wow factor.
I'd go with boraras brigittae.

Yeesh....thanks or the replies....just not answers I wanted to hear lol. I have definitely considered everything suggested, and they would probably all work okay. Everywhere I read said that scarlet badis are hunters and would actively seek out the shrimp. (But they sure are pretty!) Call me crazy but I really don't like CPD much. Good to know that embers are not very bright, will scratch them off the list. I do like least killifish but I soooo want to go with something red. I will still consider them but I am really leaning toward chili rasbora. Thanks guys!

+1 celestial pearl danios. Their pattern and red fins get real bright when they're settled and happy. Definitely my favourite at the moment.
Edit: didn't see your last post, never mind! :p what about emerald rasboras? I've been told the males get a really pretty blue.

Yeah, I do really like those! I am already thinking of how I can add them sometime to another tank bc they are so pretty!

I won't get them for my shrimp tank only bc I am looking for something that is either orange or red...I really think it will pop against the plants and the Blue Velvet shrimp.

Thanks!

I am really liking my Sundadanio Axelrodi neon blue, I know it isn't red or orange!

Second would be the little chilis, though they don't all get that sizzling red color only the dominant male so the rest mostly stay an orange-ish tannish with a hint of reddish.

I hadn't heard of the Sundadanio Axelrodi so I looked them up...they are really cute! I may have to keep them in mind in the future! I think I have decided on the chilis...thanks for the info on them! :)

Pseudomugil gertrudae is another really pretty option. I keep them in a heavily planted 10g with RCS.

Shrimp will do best in species only tanks. I have added small fish into a ten gallon and noticed a huge drop off in activity and breeding in the shrimp . However if you are just looking for a few baby shrimp to survive at a time then its fine to keep them with smaller fish.

I would recommend "The Clown Killi" Pseudepiplatys annulatus or boras brigittae.

Here is a pic, of my Sundanio Axelrodi blue
60074-albums9764-picture59827.jpg

Any fish will eat what fits in their mouths. Always poo pooed the all the fish will eat the shrimp. BUT they do! When I have had shrimp only my populations always increase double than when there are fish in the tank. Shrimp, is like fast food! Just so you understand the fish will eat babies you can make informed decision.

I have tanks with shrimp and fish. But they are the inexpensive ones, and Amanos (adults). Otherwise, chomp, chomp, num, num!

Never would have my breeding tank of Orange Eye Blue Tigers in with the fish, not even nano fish.

But might set up a show tank with adults, as the shrimp and fish are pretty near the same size!!! :lol:

Have fun choosing, there are too many great options.

Back
Top Bottom