Best Water Test Kits for BEGINNER

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbenoit

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All.
I started up a 10 gallon community tank about a month ago. While I was getting through the startup cycle, I was bringing a sample of the water to my local Petco for testing and subsequent advice to help cycle the tank.

Now that the water is ideal, and I have fish in the tank, I'd rather not have to run to Petco with a sample and be able to do regular water tests at home.

Can you recommend a good water test kit for beginners? Something that I don't need a degree in marine biology to read? Thanks in advance for any advice!

API master kit just follow instructions and match the colors, very easy -and accurate!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, very simple to use & if you need any help just post. Just read what you are testing for and add the right bottle or bottles. Some test will need for you to add #1 x amount of drop & then #2 of x amount of drops. Very simple once you get the hang of it.

I did see this at Petco, but it looked pretty intense. It's something I would be able to follow as a beginner? Thanks!

It looks complicated at first but it's really not. Basically you add a little water to the test tube (5ml I believe) and each card says exactly how many drops of what bottle to use depending on which test you are running.

If I can do it with a crazy toddler at my feet, anyone can do it! It's easy peasy. And pretty addicting (I don't know why?!). The manual tells you how to do it and after a couple times you just do it by heart. I would order from amazon, it's the cheapest place I've found it!

Each test is different, I took a Sharpie pen & wrote on each bottle what to do. Saves having to look it up until you ve memorized it

The only two cents that I would toss in is to make sure you read the directions. The nitrate test is slightly different than the rest. When it tells you to shake something, be sure you really shake it.

Testing is the easy part. The hard part is matching the colors. I test during daylight hours and match the colors outdoors. Everyone has a different way of comparing the color in the tube to that of the chart. You'll find the one that works for you.

David

The only two cents that I would toss in is to make sure you read the directions. The nitrate test is slightly different than the rest. When it tells you to shake something, be sure you really shake it.

Second that. You have to beat the crap out of those bottles. Otherwise you'll end up with false negatives to begin with and false positives when you're towards the end of the bottle. Happened to me.

Back
Top Bottom