Betta and shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rianyu

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone had any experience with a betta and crystal red shrimp? I'm gathering stuff for a 5 gallon planted tank specifically for a betta but I also saw some amazing looking crystal red shrimp at the lfs. They had a bunch in some display betta tanks.

Most resources I've seen discourage this because the shrimp don't reproduce as fast and are costly.

I know it really depends on individual personality of the betta but did anyone try? How did it turn out?

I wouldn't do it. Bettas love to eat shrimp. Some Bettas it might work with but probably a good chunk it will just be a very expensive snack.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would look into the neocaradina species of shrimp such as the RCS rather than the crystal reds. There are tons of color variations of the RCS so go online and look around.

The crystal reds are much more sensitive and breed much slower. While a small group of adults can usually keep a 10g+ betta tank populated, I wouldn't imagine the same would be true of the crystals.

Alright. CRS were my original plan anyway and they are pretty on their own. Thanks for the input guys :D

Back
Top Bottom