Betta Breeding Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

murrayfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a male and feamle betta and want to breed them. The male is making a bubble nest around the top of his tank and i was wondering how long i had to wait to put the female in his tank to see if a spawn happens. They are next to eachother in thier own tanks and they are both flaring at eachother and the female has black lines down her body that she didnt have before.

Are the male and female together, but separated, in the spawning tank? Once they are, it seems like they're ready. You can release the female.

You will need a spawning tank before you can breed. 10-20 gallon tanks work well. Have you done any research on betta breeding beforehand? It's not something to be taken lightly.

yes and we just tried but the male almost killed the female so we are no longer intrested in breeding bettas

Breeding Bettas is a science for sure. It's a lot more than just putting a male and female together. As suggested, do some research before trying again (if you are interested.)
FYI: The fish are designed to withstand the beating they take during spawning. The #1 thing you need to watch for is secondary bacterial infections from the wounds. If you see any redness at the wounds or just want to protect the female from any possible after effects, you should use meds in the form of antibacteriacides until you see the wounds starting to heal.
Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom