Betta Fin Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chelsi.reber

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,

I got a betta for my birthday 9.11.16. Since I got him, I have had some issues with is fins. Specifically his caudal (back) fin. The tank water quality is good. I am still in the cycling process (did fish in cycle ooopsie) but the ammonia levels are 0 or close to. Nitrites usually about 0-0.25ppm (0.5ppm just prior to weekly water change), Nitrates are 20ppm or less, pH is about 7.4. Everything seems to be stable. I use stress coat+ and zyme+. I used aqua salt in his tank a week ago, but did not add any to his tank with this water change. Brand new tank. 5 gal tank with built in filter, Water temp consistently 78 degrees. He is the only fish in the tank.

I have done lots of PWC, added the correct water conditioners, removed the sharp gravel and replaced with smooth gravel, replaced all plastic plants with silk ones, removed the hid out that may have had sharp edges too.

I feel like no matter what I do his fins are just not getting better. In fact today is the worst I've ever seen. I also believe he has developed swim bladder which I will be treating ASAP.

Can anyone tell me if this is fin rot or just ripped fins. I have done so much research my head hurts :banghead: lol. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have included pictures when I first got him, 1.5 wks after getting him, then 2 wks after that, 2 days ago, and today

Thanks and have a blessed day.

Attachments

• 09.11.16 #2.jpg
    09.11.16 #2.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 9.22.16 #4.jpg
    9.22.16 #4.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 31
  • 10.1.16 #1.jpg
    10.1.16 #1.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 10.3.16 #3.jpg
    10.3.16 #3.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 77
There is not alot of blood supply to the large man-made bred fins
Rot is natural result of this
You can use one of these antibiotics to treat if you really feel its serious.
Antibiotic Fish Flake Food
Otherwise its just an eyesore type of thing to you.

Back
Top Bottom