Betta fin issues- no disease though?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquamami8326

Aquarium Advice Activist
My beloved betta who I've had for a year and a half has recently started all sorts of weird things.

First off, he is changing colors. He was a light pastel pink when I got him. Now his entire upper fin is a dark purple-ish blue, and he is sprouting stripes of the same color on his anal fin. He has also developed black speckles all over his body, they almost look uniform like they are in a pattern. The black spots are also on his fins, but they look more like freckles of different sizes and shapes.

Second, what I'm actually worried about, are the three holes I found in his upper fin. One has already torn. There are small rays coming from the top fin, almost like he was supposed to be a crowntail. But they are very very small.

I've treated him for fin rot, but there has been no change in the small tears (or rays), or the holes in his fins. He shows no other signs of fin rot or disease. He is in a 3.5 gallon tank, which I keep immaculately clean because there is no filtration. The temperature is at 78 degrees (F)

His tank has a tube in the middle, which holds an air stone. (The bubbles go up the tube with an led light underneath). There is a tray at the bottom of the tank, about 1/4" high, that holds up all the gravel. Sadly, the tube leads straight down under the tray. He loves swimming up and down this tube in the bubble stream and does it for at least a few hours a day, sometimes hiding under the gravel tray. Could this be the cause of his fin damage?

PS. Sorry this is so long, but I would rather explain everything the first time

Could you possibly get a picture is the injury? He could have torn it on something or have a bit of fin rot. Has it gotten any worse? Was he young when you got him? He could be gaining some more color as he matures.

Ok, first of all an update. A few days after posting this, I moved him to a filtered, cycled 10 gallon tank. There are no other fish with him. But he has gotten signifigantly worse.. He now has a very large tear on his back fin, with a smaller one under it; As well as all the tears he had before. He is losing his color slowly, kind of like it is washing away as the end of his fins. I don't think he could have torn them on anything.. I've done the pantyhose test with everything in his tank and was confident they were safe.. At first I treated him with Melafix and when that didn't work I moved him on to aquarium salt instead. His tank currently has 3 teaspoons of salt per gallon and is sitting at 80 degres.

He usually lays around the bottom sleeping or resting on the decorations, but it still extremely active when I come near the tank. This will make it very hard to get any pictures of the injuries but I will still try.

Oh, he was at least a year old when I got him. He was a display fish at a pet store out in our small town (Not really a pet store- they sold dog and cat supplies as well as some goldfish food and 2 ten gallon tanks full of tetras and guppies). The woman said she had him in the store for at least a year already- so I'm assuming he's getting pretty old.

see i've had something similar albeit i dont know how old my betta is. however (as mumma.of.two knows) my betta has also been losing his back fin. now after reading about it everywhere i can and after watching him intently for hours on end i can only come to the conclusion that he is a little old and that older betta fish do sometimes "shed" their fins to make themselves lighter. its a naturally occuring thing. i say this because my issue was my betta's back fin kept tearing seemingly yet (as with you) nothing in the tank failed the pantyhose test, never really saw him bite himself (possibly once but never again) paramaters were fine. and also this started in his 5gal tank, then when we moved him to his new 10gal his started getting seemingly worse (just like yours) we've been treating him with 1/ml of melafix a day and its seems to have stopped falling off and we can now see slight regrowth.

occums razor. the simplest explanation is often the best.

I'm on a blackberry so I'm not sure how I would do it.. The pictures aren't that good anyways, he moves wayy to much when I am around the tank.

Gingimaru that's the conclusion I came to with my betta. . I just want to do my best to make sure its nothing I can treat. With the aquarium salt treatment my betta (Scar) is on now, I noticed today that the biggest tears have started to close just the slightest bit. However there are 2 new ones..

Back
Top Bottom