Betta--- Finrot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I don't understand! My Halfmoon Jitterbug seems to possibly have the beginning stages of finrot! OR he tore his fin? He has a small split in his tail and this morning a tiny piece hanging off...

He is in a standard 10g with 2 Otos

Temp 80-82
Ph- 8

Feed 4 Omega One Betta Pellets every other day... Eats immediately, pellets never hit gravel!

I do a 50% PWC once a week, using Prime always...

Small sized gravel in tank, rock decoration, rock cave, silk plant, and plastic plant...

Just a note: I put in the CFL bulbs for 5 mins just bow to get quality pics.... He normally has incandescent until I can get some floating plants for shade to go along with the fluorescent bulbs...

Jitterbug is active and always rushes to greet be immediately when I approach the tank...
Ideas?

Pics:

View attachment 95917

View attachment 95918

View attachment 95919

View attachment 95920

Mumma.of.two said:
He looks fine. Probably just snagged it on something. It will heal in its own. Happens sometimes since their fins are so long. He's still very pretty though!

OooooH Mumma to the rescue! :)
I panicked when I saw it... Go look at my post about my female Betta, Lucy. :-(

Yep, not to be repetitive but most likely your betta did snag it on something. I would recommend inspecting his tank for any sharp objects/plants. This is especially so if you have hard plastic plants. You might want to remove these, especially if you begin to notice more and more snags appearing on the tail. Just make sure that your filter is working properly, and your heater is functioning. Keep fingers/hands OUT OF THE WATER. Don't handle your fish for a while, don't move his tank, don't change ANYTHING. Give your betta some TLC for a while, and then see what happens. A ripped tail is very prone to infection, and if you notice the snag beginning to spread, treat your water with Maracyn or some other fin and tail rot treatment immediately.
Right now, your betta looks happy. His colors are vibrant and he is obviously not down on the bottom or floating on the top so you should be good ;)

Bettaluv said:
Yep, not to be repetitive but most likely your betta did snag it on something. I would recommend inspecting his tank for any sharp objects/plants. This is especially so if you have hard plastic plants. You might want to remove these, especially if you begin to notice more and more snags appearing on the tail. Just make sure that your filter is working properly, and your heater is functioning. Keep fingers/hands OUT OF THE WATER. Don't handle your fish for a while, don't move his tank, don't change ANYTHING. Give your betta some TLC for a while, and then see what happens. A ripped tail is very prone to infection, and if you notice the snag beginning to spread, treat your water with Maracyn or some other fin and tail rot treatment immediately.
Right now, your betta looks happy. His colors are vibrant and he is obviously not down on the bottom or floating on the top so you should be good ;)

It's been two weeks and I can hardly see anything, so all looks good. He's very active and rushes to greet me. :) yay!

Few questions on your post tho.. Why would you suggest keeping my fingers and hands out of the water? Are you meaning in general or when there's an illness?

There is one plastic red/green plant in the corner you can see in the pics above and other green plant is silk. Rock decoration and his rock cave are only other things in there...

Heater and filter working as they should. I'm glad about my Betta, but curious as to the questions above. :)
Thank you for being so through in your response btw.

It's been two weeks and I can hardly see anything, so all looks good. He's very active and rushes to greet me. :) yay!

Few questions on your post tho.. Why would you suggest keeping my fingers and hands out of the water? Are you meaning in general or when there's an illness?

There is one plastic red/green plant in the corner you can see in the pics above and other green plant is silk. Rock decoration and his rock cave are only other things in there...

Heater and filter working as they should. I'm glad about my Betta, but curious as to the questions above. :)
Thank you for being so through in your response btw.
What I mean is (and don't get me wrong I am guilty of this sometimes;)) if you see a lopsided decoration or something, don't reach in to fix it really quick. This is really mainly when your fish is sick but its good to always make sure that your hands and fingers stay out of the water as much as possible all of the time...its not good to have hands with germs on them infecting your fish's living quarters.

The two plants don't look like they would be a threat, it was probably just an accident when he exited his cave or something. I wouldn't be worried, just look every day to make sure he hasn't done it again. If you notice that he continually cuts it, I would probably think about removing the cave....

But happy to hear that he is on the road to recovery (well basically almost to the end:D)

I hoped this helped, and happy betta keeping
-Bettaluv

What I mean is (and don't get me wrong I am guilty of this sometimes;)) if you see a lopsided decoration or something, don't reach in to fix it really quick. This is really mainly when your fish is sick but its good to always make sure that your hands and fingers stay out of the water as much as possible all of the time...its not good to have hands with germs on them infecting your fish's living quarters.

The two plants don't look like they would be a threat, it was probably just an accident when he exited his cave or something. I wouldn't be worried, just look every day to make sure he hasn't done it again. If you notice that he continually cuts it, I would probably think about removing the cave....

But happy to hear that he is on the road to recovery (well basically almost to the end:D)

I hoped this helped, and happy betta keeping
-Bettaluv

Ah yes, I understand what you're saying... after my mistakes in the beginning of fishkeeping I rush to the sink to scrub and rinse really well before I reach into the tank.. makes me look like a mad woman when i suddenly see fry I need to "rescue"! haha
Occasionally after washing my hands (and quite often up to my shoulder in my 29g if I need to fix something) I'll cup my hands in my big tank and my fish will come up and sit in my hand and rub up against my fingers. I've read that these are signs of affection... pretty neat considering how much credit "regular people" give fish.

I understand what you're saying about the cave... the rock decoration is make of the same rough material.. i'll keep a close eye on him and if it happens again I'll be more creative and think of something else in there.. maybe some stones i could make a cave out of that could be the focal point of the tank. I also plan on making it a planted tank..
:thanks:

Ah yes, I understand what you're saying... after my mistakes in the beginning of fishkeeping I rush to the sink to scrub and rinse really well before I reach into the tank.. makes me look like a mad woman when i suddenly see fry I need to "rescue"! haha
Occasionally after washing my hands (and quite often up to my shoulder in my 29g if I need to fix something) I'll cup my hands in my big tank and my fish will come up and sit in my hand and rub up against my fingers. I've read that these are signs of affection... pretty neat considering how much credit "regular people" give fish.

I understand what you're saying about the cave... the rock decoration is make of the same rough material.. i'll keep a close eye on him and if it happens again I'll be more creative and think of something else in there.. maybe some stones i could make a cave out of that could be the focal point of the tank. I also plan on making it a planted tank..
:thanks:

Haha, no worries I do the same thing. And my tetras do that occasionally. What most people fail to understand is that fish are more of a decoration, and if treated properly, they have the ability to become beloved family pets. :nono:
Yeah, you know you could also use a small terra cotta pot and put it in there for the cave:) You can disguise it with gravel and plants and that would work...not really a pretty focal point...but a last resort...

Back
Top Bottom