Betta fish fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hummingguppy

Aquarium Advice Regular
In the land of potatoes. otherwise known as Idaho.
Hi, I recently bought a beautiful new betta from a local pet store. He's a blue and red Cambodian crown tail, really pretty, but on closer inspection, his tail is short and looks almost as if someone took a pair of scissors to it and cut it off in a strait line. There's some feathery crown, but not nearly as much as the rest of his fins.

What do you think happened? He seems relatively healthy and is adjusting nicely. Maybe he was separated from his siblings late and they nipped him? He does seen really docile compared to other Berta's I've had, he doesn't flare too much at anything.

So, I was watching him and he was twisting around in his tank. I didn't actually see him bite his fins, but maybe it's a sort of stress habit? I don't know how long he was kept in his little half cup bowl, but it couldn't have been good for him. I was planning on ordering online, but I saw this guy and he was too cute to resist. If all goes well, I won't regret it, I just want to make sure he does alright. He's been eating and everything.

Then i would just use something like stress coat at double dose or "betafix" if its just a little bit of stress induced fin rot. Pumping antibiotics and fungicides down fish that only live 2 years max and cost a few bucks is not worth it in the long run, but since you ovbiously like guppies too, and they get this problem alot too from nipping and chasing during mating, it might be worth your while to order some kanamycin and some Furan-2 Green and setup a hospital tank for fish that come down with fin rot.

I had a fish who would bite his tail if he was in a tank smaller than ten gallons. He was a fussy thing, but he got his ten gallon so I guess it worked for him.
Maybe once your fish settles into his new home he won't bite himself.

45 gal. freshwater and 10 gal. female betta tanks

Back
Top Bottom